The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Nubian is so sick I found her out in the rain she wouldn't move, her into the barn and won't her her back legs at all. Will just barely lift her head up. Had diarrhea last couple of days! Jut gave antibiotics and wormed... What should I do? Isn't bloated. ..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gave her 3cc ivermectin and 3cc proc pen LA. Didn't take her temp yet. Not really sure now. Ate one smal bite of hay and sniffed water so not really willing.

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
We really need to know her temp. Low or high makes a difference. For sure you can't go wrong with giving her some C&D Antitoxin along with a B Complex Shot and some Probios.

How big is she? Did you give the Ivomec orally or SQ? That would make a difference if you gave enough Ivomec.

Also, Penicillin is given at 1cc per 20 lbs. So that would mean your goat would be 60 lbs to get the proper dosage. Long Acting is 5cc per 100 lbs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have wormer SQ. she is around 60 pounds from our best guess. I can really hear her stomach grumbling. Don't have any probios or B or antitoxin..

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
That is in the normal range. Are there any other symptoms you can tell us? Do you have C&D Antitoxin? I would definitely offer her some electrolytes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't have the C&D antitoxin, she was vaccinated for C D & T about two months ago, not sure of that is the same thing. Will offer electrolytes, do you think it would be ok to force some in her mouth ? Could we give something for her stomach? I've read about giving yogurt or oil or all sorts of things ... We are new to this

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
Do you have a vet you can call or a local experienced goat person? Someone seeing your goat in person would help to identify the problem.

Yes, you can syringe electolytes into her.

You can also give her Milk of Magnesia (needs to be exactly that) to help draw out toxins. MOM is 15cc per 60 lbs.

CDT is the vaccine so not the same as C&D Antitoxin.

If you think she has bloat, you can give her Baking Soda. Mix about a tablespoon in enough water to make it a drench and give it to her orally. You can also give her yogurt.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
How is your doe?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She does this morning. Almost positive it was worms. We ruled it out at first because all our goats had been wormed, but we now realize we haven't been giving enough. They are all getting wormed again!

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Im so sorry..:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts