Goat Jaw Weirdness

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TxCoffeeCrew, Feb 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TxCoffeeCrew

TxCoffeeCrew New Member

May 10, 2020
    Smithville, Tx
    upload_2021-2-21_19-14-21.png
    My 3yr old mini lamancha doe has started holding her jaw like this some times, I first thought I caught her in mid cud chew but it's worrying me. She's pretty healthy no coughing or parasite, UTD on selenium etc. I feel like a mom telling her kid to stop making that Face because it'll freeze that way!
    She's pregnant, always hungry, due in Mid April and was tested for the CAE, CL and Johnnes.
    Any clues? Or am I being paranoid?

TIA
    Joyce in Texas

Moers kiko boars and TCOLVIN like this.
  2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I can't tell for sure, but it looks like her left jaw is swollen. Have you felt all along her face for any abscesses or sore spots? She might have an infected tooth.

3. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    The picture makes her jaw look very swollen. Abscessed tooth? Injury to her jaw? I'd have a vet look at it, if you have one in your area.

4. JML Farms

JML Farms Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    Does she make a grinding sound when she does this?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. TxCoffeeCrew

TxCoffeeCrew New Member

May 10, 2020
    Smithville, Tx
    Hard to know because she usually puts her jaw back in order because she’s getting excited about me bringing food or coming into the pen

6. TxCoffeeCrew

TxCoffeeCrew New Member

May 10, 2020
    Smithville, Tx
    I did feel her jaw tonight and didn’t feel anything unusual I will probe a bit more next time

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have a vet look at her.
    If she is a older doe, she may have a rotten or jagged tooth cutting into her gums.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Does she pack her cud in her cheek? Sometimes they get too much cud packed and cant get it all out. (offering warm water might help) An abscessed tooth or an infected salivary gland are possible, too.

If you try to feel her cheek from the inside, watch those sharp back teeth, they will sever or cut a finger, badly!

She is a pretty doe!

TxCoffeeCrew and toth boer goats like this.
  9. TxCoffeeCrew

TxCoffeeCrew New Member

May 10, 2020
    Smithville, Tx
    Thank you, I can't feel any tenderness or anything on the outside of the jaw. She's my diva child. Only 3 nearing 4 so I don't think it's a tooth issue. Her face was really poofy in that pic because it was snowing...

Attached Files:

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you checked her for cud stuck in her cheek? I wonder if cud gets stuck there and that is how she gets it out.

toth boer goats likes this.