The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Have just acquired a 1 year old Nigerian dwarf doe. Was to be a pal to my Nubian wether who lost his Nigerian buddy this winter.
She leaps out of everything! They are housed inside in a converted horse stall and I have now had to plywood up the walls to the ceiling. She can leap out at 6 ft.
Haven't even tried the outside pasture.
I will have to get rid of her if I can't keep in or I'm afraid she'll break a leg.
I've had various breeds for 30 years and never this issue.
Would a pair of goat hobbles work? (like for milking) should I use on front or rear?
Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I wouldn't hobble her..could entangle worse. I had a jumper once. Nothing kept that girl in. Finally sold her to a guy who ran a large pasture herd and she did fine. Didn't like my smaller digs.
Taller fences or a wire top to the stall area. Is this her night time pen or all day? How does your wether like her? Do they get along?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was afraid you'd say nothing cured a jumper. Have now plywood-ed up to the stall top. It's their nighttime pen and bad weather pen. Just got her a few days ago, haven't tried her in my outside pasture. Seems to get along okay with the wether. He was with another Nigerian doe previous and was always okay with that one. Both are dis-budded.
I know that with my horses once they learn how to open a gate or get thru something, you've got to put a quick stop to it otherwise there is no fixing it, they will always remember.
All my pastures are high tensile wire with 2 electric strands top & bottom. Not sure what I'm going to try with that with this new one.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had a jumper/climber last year and I have an even worse one this year. Last year's climbed into the buck pen and became a teen pregnancy. That slowed her down a bit. This year's got out again today and is currently tied out in the yard until I try to figure something else out tomorrow. It doesn't help that she's a teeny tiny goat that can almost defy gravity. Today she managed to get in the chicken pen and smooshed a dozen eggs running through the nest boxes for no reason except pure devious-ness, trying to get into the chicken feed.
I am thinking I have a bloodline issue brewing. This year's and last year's are same dad, half-sister mommas and are incredibly agile & smart. They are addicted to heights and feed, and also okay with being away from the herd. I am glad that I am about to rotate this buck daddy out. The only solution I have found is age/size and consistently plugging new holes, adding more obstacles. I actually have tomato cages wired to the top edge of the fence over the water trough right now.I am also finding ways to angle the tops of the fences in. Sometimes she gets put in a cage when I am working lots of hours and just cannot deal with her. She almost got hit in the road last week. I have to tie her in the middle of the yard, over head, no shelter because she will hang herself if I am not careful.

·
8,492 Posts
Exercise and toys. Give them a job! Those agile goats are great at almost like dog agility- teach them to lead and follow you.
They have great fun jumping onto and over toys, etc. Make their environment fun. The electric fencing will help persuade him to stay where he belongs,
but will continually test the fence. So, give him climbing and challenging things inside his pasture or pen. Good luck!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't want to hijack Langford Karen's post. I don't want people to think of me as the cruel person with the itty bitty goat tied to a post. I added another foot to the fence, screened the sides and moved all the toys, buckets and feeders to the middle. She cannot use them as springboards to get out. I also removed everything that she can use as a toehold on the sides of the pen. She has 2 same age companions, other weaners. She's the only one pacing the fenceline...

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a jumper. I've tried pretty much everything. I thought breeding her might settle her down so I put her in with the buck when the time came. The buck pen is very secure and on a separate part of the property. I guess she didn't like her boyfriend because she cleared the 5 ft fence, 6 foot barn wall, hopped through the hay storage and went back in with her herd on the ladies side of the property. I know she could clear any fence we put up, but she chooses to stay in with her lady friends so I'm just leaving it at that. I'm hoping that as long as she's happy she will stay put.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts