The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I went out to find my goat had given birth without me. She had one baby in the barn and one out standing in the sun with the other doe with her 2 babies. They look the same but then I noticed that the boy has a bad mouth and his back left leg is bending forward. Should I be alarmed or is this just him figuring out his legs? Seems to me I have a problem. He is nursing like a champ he got right on there.

They are half LaMancha and mini Nubian buck. I was really hoping for no airplane ears but they both have them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like a "genetic" problem to me. Is that a doeling next to him? How is she looking?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep that's her sister and she's great. My doe got tangled in the hot wire one day. Bad. The day we put it up could it have anything to do with that?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Defect does that mean he needs to be terminated? If so how do I do that. I vote vet. :)....I still have 3 chickens to kill and have been procrastinating.

I gave my doe bo se but I still have some

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
He needs some Bo-Se for the leg issues, this is not unusual in a newborn. Get some BoSe from your vet or get the gel from your feed/ supply store. He will be straight in a day or two with this medication. He may have a "parrot mouth", and that is genetic. So, I would not repeat that breeding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How much Bo-se? I have it, half a tube of 30g left.
I found it I got it I am going out! Mama's Comin lol

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
That leg and parrot mouth look pretty funky. I wouldn't repeat that breeding +1. If they were mine, I would cull them.....

·
Registered
30,184 Posts
Parrot mouth poor guy....have you felt inside his mouth? does he have a roof? some Parrot mouth will not have one making eating very difficult..
Def. Do BoSe.. ..you can always band him as a wether companion if he is healthy otherwise...I would never breed him nor would I breed his mom and dad together again...

·
Super Moderator
82,617 Posts
If he is really small and a small breed, give 1/8th to 1/4 cc of Bo-se.

If he is bigger breed, give 1/4 to 1/2 cc Under skin

Open his mouth and see what is going on in there. Parrot mouth isn't a death sentence, if he is able to eat. But don't repeat that breeding or breed him, he should be wethered as a pet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He nursed like a champ got right on no help and drank for a long time His belly filled. He's walking better now. I did get the Bo Se in him and his sister just in case. I got some into momma again too. I am trying to open his mouth to check it out. He's got a bridge of his mouth. I was trying to check for teeth. He has some on the bottom I felt.
I am trying not to traumatize them all because they all seem dazed and confused. I wish I was out there to see what happened. She didn't make any loud moaning that's for sure. I don't want to breed the buck or the dam. I don't know who carries the gene for parrot mouth. I had a Nubian with it and got rid of her. I wonder if it's a Nubian thing? They were freezing in the barn so I took them out and all 3 are in the sun and not shivering anymore. The mama has had about 6 cups of warm molasses water and she's bright eyed again and looks less lethargic.

She did an awful lot of positioning so I am wondering if someone wasn't lined up how they were supposed to be. The babies are a nice weight and size.

My mother in law wants goats just because she likes them I think he may go to her. We like them for pets so imperfections are okay just not breedable of course.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Just saw your post. If he's doing well I'd let him be :) I'd not use him for breeding stock, but he should be able to have a fine life.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
The leg thing, I had that happen this year, except I was there to see what happened, big ol boer mama stepped on his hind leg and it hyperextended like that for a few days. It wasn't like that at birth. She has triplet buck, every single one mispresented himself and I had to pull them all. So I was there the entire time. She stepped on his little leg. It fixed itself in about 5 days.
As for parrot mouths, they are genetic. Try a new buck.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
The parrot mouth is recessive. Both carry the gene in your case, but it took both parents to make it a pure recessive in the kid.
So say the doe has the recessive gene for parrot mouth, but doesnt show one, she'd still have the gene, but has a dominant gene for the correct mouth.
Same goes for the Buck.
BUT when fertilization occurred both parent's recessive gene met and made a pure recessive for the parrot mouth allowing you to see it

. If a dominant correct mouth gene and a recessive parrot mouth gene met the kid would have a normal mouth.

Sometimes its hit and miss with recessive carriers of parrot mouth. Happened with my alpine does kids this year. Last year she had twin does both were fine. This year she was breed to the same buck, had a doe and a buck. The buck had a parrot mouth the doe was fine.

It isn't breed specific, any goat can have it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
yes it did thanks! My doe that had babies on Mother's Day is all about knowing where her kids are at and calls out to them. This doe doesn't give a hoot. She came out to check on them 1x and went back to the barn. They are both sleeping in the sun now and it appears she checked on the girl to make sure she was alive becuase she woke her up then decided she was good and went back to the barn. I hope they nurse again here soon.

Update they both nursed a nice long time and I took more pictures. I just think the buck's mouth looks unformed. I still haven't been able to get a good look. Is there a technique to seeing in there?

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts