The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have kids that are just over a week old. They are constantly jumping all over me and sucking/biting on my clothes, fingers, hair... even right after they’ve had a big meal! I’m curious, do y’all allow this behavior until they are older? If not, how do you go about training them against it? Thanks!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
That’s just goats for ya. They are always like that. I don’t mind it. I’m sure you can train them out of it but I don’t feel a need to, I just try to discourage it by preventing it from happening. So I don’t stick my fingers in their mouth or keep my hair down in their pen lol!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just goats for ya. They are always like that. I don't mind it. I'm sure you can train them out of it but I don't feel a need to, I just try to discourage it by preventing it from happening. So I don't stick my fingers in their mouth or keep my hair down in their pen lol!!
I have tried preventing it like that but it's to the point where I can't even go in there without coming out COVERED with poop, saliva, and scratches....

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Any behaviour I didn’t want him to repeat, Pipsqueak got a spray from the spray bottle. I felt bad on the first day... until I saw the immediate positive response! He has not jumped on me, or humped me for a long time now.
Currently we are working on hoof trimming. He wants to head butt me, because he doesn’t want me to do it, so the spray bottle comes out again.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I forgot to add that I say “No!” and give a hand signal at the same time as spraying. The next time I say No! and point a finger at him, he might already remember and change his mind about the behaviour.
Also, it has to be consistent. I had allowed Pipsqueak to jump on my knees and back for circus tricks, but didn’t want him jumping up on my legs. I quickly realized that was too confusing. I chose to opt for no more circus tricks. Instead, when I sit down, I pat my lap and he is allowed to jump on. He caught on very fast.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I use a squirt bottle, or a good smack to the side, not too hard, but hard enough to sting a little bit. I only do that to the older ones who are taking forever to learn... Fixes mine lol!!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
With my first kids I didn’t know anything about training until I joined TGS. The kids were 5 months old then and always jumping up on me. It took a LOT longer for them to learn (even with squirt bottle) than it did for the one week old.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The squirt-gun is GREAT!! I use it on everyone (goats, dogs, chickens) when they are being 'naughty'. I used to chase and yell or clap my hands...or some other method that was loud and annoying but...turns out I was getting more annoyed by doing that than the rest of the crew. (they were kind of getting used to it...sigh)

So...got a super-soaker water gun and haven't felt the need to raise my voice or put hands on for correction purposes since. : ) Keeps the chickens off the porch and, I can actually herd the goats in any direction I want to go with it...just a quick squirt to the backside or right next to them to turn..LOL. Not sure about them but, I am MUCH HAPPIER!! : )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts