The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, this doeling was born and she was born in the dirt with a lot of hay and other stuff on the ground. Mom left her there for a little while, but after she got used to having kids, she did great. I noticed a while after that her eye was closed shut. I have her LA200 and rubbed her eyelid with Neosporin twice a day. After a while, it opened so I stopped. Then I saw that her eye is clouded over and I am sure she is blind in that eye. I do not know what caused it, or if it can be fixed anymore. I have heard of entropion eyelid where the eyelid closes in, but I don't know if that is the case.
Any information helps!

IMG_5344.jpg

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
You need to pull her bottom lid and see if it is rolled in. If this is entropion, and it is not fixed, she is going to be in constant pain and could be blind permanently.

A vet can easily stitch or staples the bottom eyelid down. It’s a quick fix.

If this isn’t entropion, then a vet would still be a good idea to diagnose why treatment is not working.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can’t really tell from the picture, because it looks like the eye is just very dark in color. I have had to deal with a rolled eyelid problem, once, but I don’t think this is what the problem is.if I were you, I would take the kid to the vet...

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had the same thing happen to one of our babies this year. We got Terramycin Ophthalmic antibiotic ointment at our local Murdoch's store. It's a little pricey but worked super well. I put it on his eye two days in a row, and it cleared up fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You need to pull her bottom lid and see if it is rolled in. If this is entropion, and it is not fixed, she is going to be in constant pain and could be blind permanently.

A vet can easily stitch or staples the bottom eyelid down. It’s a quick fix.

If this isn’t entropion, then a vet would still be a good idea to diagnose why treatment is not working.
I had a rolled eyelid with one of my kids. We used penicillin and injected it into the eyelid. Jt eventually scarred and is now perfectly fine. I don’t like using stitches...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I had a rolled eyelid with one of my kids. We used penicillin and injected it into the eyelid. Jt eventually scarred and is now perfectly fine. I don’t like using stitches...
I prefer staples rather than getting a needle near the eye.

Vets have their preferences, and I would not recommend using the penicillin injection for someone that has never done it before. They can see if their vet will demonstrate for them.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Staples?
How do you do that if I may ask?
Of course! I was curious about it myself. We had our very first entropion in 8 years, and we had our vet over to assist. It’s her preferred method.

She simply pulled down the bottom lid, took her staple gun (made specifically for wounds, of course) and stapled the extra skin, so the bottom lid was pulled downwards. She told us they are to be left in for 1-3 weeks and then removed.

It was quick and easy! We just removed the staples a few weeks ago, and the results were great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts