The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new goat owner. I have two 2 month old nigies. My doeling developed lumps that looked like mosquito or ant bites that had erupted this evening. I thought it was some kind of bites, perhaps spiders or fire ants. They were in clusters on her body. (My wether has no symptoms)

I bathed her in ground oatmeal and Dr. Bonner's lavender tea tree soap. The swelling seemed to go down some. I planned to take her to the only goat vet I know in the morning, but I just checked on her again and they're spreading allover her body, Big and small lumps without broken skin, a few erupted and bleeding and a few near her anus with white almost thrush looking tips to the lumps.

I tried an emergency vet office, but they said they have nobody that can see a goat tonight. I am thinking that this may be an allergic reaction to something. I can't think of any changes to her diet recently. Nothing. I clean her pen daily. I am at a loss for ideas.

If the image I have attached look familiar to you, please advise. I have to keep her going through the night til I can get her to the ruminant vet in the morning. Thank you.

Attachments

·
2,203 Posts
Have you ruled out fleas?

·
2,203 Posts
Are they puss filled? Sometimes mites make nasty risen bumps. We have a lot of issues with straw mites in our show heifer string.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot get any puss from the spots, only blood from fresh ones, but they're spreading fast. Ten minutes ago her eyes were fine and now they are ringed in small bumps.

I had bathed and clipped her for a show a few days ago. I can see no insects at all, and now that there seem to be a few dozen new ones popping up with no heads... ???

·
2,203 Posts
Sounds like allergic reaction. Benadryl?? Any sort of antihistamine around the house?

·
Registered
471 Posts
That looks almost exactly like the hives that my gelding gets as an allergic reaction to who knows what. It could be that she's had it before and since she was fuzzy you didn't notice. It could be anything that sets them off, something in their hay, a bug bite, a weed blooming. Benadryl is great for allergic reactions. You could also try putting wet baking soda on it, or hydrocortisone cream. :)

·
1,384 Posts
I was thinking staph unti you said it was spreading fast, now I am thinking hives. Give benadryl and see if it clears it up, if that doesn't work then consider staph which would reuire Penn G shots, You may need to consider Penn G shots anyway with as rashy as that looks.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm itchy just looking at the pictures. you're getting great help, and I hope your girl feels better soon. keep us updated!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Oh dear! She looks like my horse, he reacts HORRIBLY to bug bites, and the bugs just love him.

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
I ditto Hives...and Benedryl 5 cc for kid or 15-20 cc for adult

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was awake and down the mountain looking for a vet this morning early. I found out that there are only 2 vets that see goats in the area. One was on her day off and the other was away at a big dairy. A partner vet did call me back and we talked about Addy's condition (which is fortunately much better today). She agreed to call the caprine vet who is off today to figure out what if anything more I should be doing, but said I should not take her to the clinic unless her rash gets bad again or she develops a fever. Thankfully, she does not have a fever and though she still looks worn, the rash has gone away except for a few bumps that actually ruptured.

The Vet called back and said it sounded like an acute allergic reaction or an immune mediated condition.

I am to watch her and continue the Benadryl for symptoms for 24 more hours, if needed. If she gets worse, the vet gave me her home number and she is on call and will see her 24/7 this weekend. She also told me not to treat her for insects yet until we are sure it is a bite that caused her to react and not an autoimmune disorder.

Whew. Addy will not be going to the goat show at Chino this weekends afterall. Next time. I am praying for a speedy recovery. She is such a sweetheart.

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
sounds like its well under control...: ) you did good...

·
2,203 Posts
Great job on the quick response!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts