Goat kid injured by nail--now what?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JoannaHoyt, May 16, 2018.

1. JoannaHoyt

JoannaHoyt New Member

Jan 9, 2014
    My 2-week-old milk mutt doeling just injured the back of her back leg this morning. There was blood down her back leg--it had plainly bled freely at first--but by the time I saw her (possibly up to an hour after the injury) she wasn't actively bleeding. She had a very short cut, perhaps .25"-.5"--most of what I saw underneath was red, but there was also a tiny bit of white. I don't think the cut went deep but it was narrow enough so I am not positive. I washed it thoroughly with warm soapy water and applied iodine copiously. She ran away very enrgetically, and after I let go of her she was back to nursing--she looks okay for now. I looked around her pasture and found two exposed nail points in a corner of the shade shed which is warping apart. (Yes, I do know I should have checked the shed thoroughly before letting the goats onto the pasture.) Neither point had blood on it but I didn't see anything else likely to have given her a cut (unless she somehow got herself on the thorns of the rose.)

I am not sure what I should do next.Should I be bandaging the cut (with what? how do you keep them from rubbing or gnawing it off?) to reduce the likelihood of tetanus getting in? Leaving it open for quicker healing? Washing it regularly? Applying actual antibiotic ointment?

The kid'smother had a CD/T booster about a month before kidding, so I am hoping the kid still has some immunity at this point.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'd leave it open and spray with Blu-Kote or similar. You could get a tetanus antitoxin shot from the vet if you're concerned. If it's pretty deep, that's what I'd do.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd do a tetanus antitoxin shot.

4. JoannaHoyt

JoannaHoyt New Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Thanks. What's the recommended dose for antitoxin for a 2-week-old kid? Asking because last time the local vet gave me filled syringes for goat kids (for selenium) they gave me rather too much, with bad results.