goat kid needs help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Galavanting Goat, May 31, 2010.

1. Galavanting Goat

Galavanting Goat New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    We have a little 11 day old boer baby come into our care to get back on his hooves. Long story short,
    his temp was way below normal, was 1 of quads (2 survived, 1 died),
    was sent home with me with a bottle of cold cows milk (didn't smell right) or calf replacer, couldn't tell. he refused to drink, used a syringe, refused 3 types of teats,
    poo was yellow and greenish/dark brownish, looks like meconium/yellow baby poop.
    Put him onto provilac but he scoured a bit (took him off)
    found numerous dead parelysis ticks over his body
    We have stabilised his temp, and we've kept him on poweraid-electrolites, he shocked us by drinking straight out of the measuring cup we were using to draw up fluid into syringe.
    Last night we gave him some body temperature goatsmilk which he loved but hes still grinding teeth.
    I spoke to the owner and she said she hasn't seen him poop since she had him (last wednesday to Saturday), I gave him two enemas today and he has passed softish poop with a bit of mucous through it.

He acts like he's constipated when standing still, hunched in the bum, tail down falling asleep type look, yawning, stretching, but when he moves, hes fine, got serious attitude. I gave him bi carb although he doesnt seem to be bloated,

Today his temp suddenly dropped so we've taken him off all milk as we don't want it sitting in his gut and fermenting etc, back onto electrolites until we can get his temp stable again, took him to the dog/cat vet next door to have his ears internally checked for mites and ticks- all clean, lungs are clear of fluid also.

will sip a bit of fluid but back to syringe feeding again. The vet did suggest giving him yukult for his gut, could someone take a look at the link and tell me if I should put this into him, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

http://www.yakult.com.au/health01.htm

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I havent heard of the things you've given him. except the electrolytes.

I'd keep him on a warm heating pad, check his temp often...some goatade or nutridrench will help. when his temp is above 99F, give him a warm bottle of goats milk if possible, pritchard teats work the best (red and yellow).

I'd give him a little pepto too, that should relieve the diarrhea

3. Galavanting Goat

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks AB, we're here in Australia so we have the different name brand to you over there. We're presently keeping him off the goatsmilk until his temp stabilises as i'm thinking the milk is souring in his gut, i'm not so concerned about the reaction of the enemas as we are wanting him to pass anything in his gut that is not doing him any good, plus i'm guessing whatever is coming out has been in there a while. The pepto will only stop him up (I used some of this when he scoured after we got him home) it stopped him up but looking back now I wish I hadn't have given him anything and just put him straight onto the electrolytes. We've tried 3 different teats on him and he doesn't quite grasp the idea of sucking (been trying for 3 days now) but he does know how to drink straight out of a dish but has slowed down heaps in doing so so now we're using the syringe again.

Thanks for your suggestions, we don't have a heating pad available to us but we have him cuddled up to a hot water bottle and electric planket and piddle pad under him.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he needs food in his stomach to help warm him but you are right his temp needs to be up to give him any milk so its a juggling game for you to get that temp up and keep it up so that he can have milk

Did the vet seem concerned with the mucus in his poop? I would be. The last time I saw that my kid had a bowl infection. I had to put him on oxytetracyline for 4 days.

As long as he wants to drink out of a dish I would just do that -- I know people who raise their kids on the dish instead of a bottle.

5. Galavanting Goat

Apr 27, 2010
    Hi Stacey, no the vet is only a dog/cat vet, they don't do livestock but they are happy to help me out with the basics like checking for mites/bugs, checking heart/lungs etc.

The livestock vet charges big $$$ to come out plus more $$$ for consultation and meds. This little boy isn't ours, he belongs to someone else, he's a "sale goat", so when he's back on his feet he gets sold off, the seller will have no interest in paying for vets as they would run at a loss, sadly it would be cheaper for them to "dispose" of him without the hassel.
    For us our only desire is to see him through this and trust that God will have a special home waiting with somebody who will buy and love him.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh, that's why I didn't recognize names.

Well, I really hope your little kid pulls through. :hug:

7. Galavanting Goat

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks AB he's slowly getting through hour by hour.

Stacey, you may be able to help me with some info, I noticed you mentioning Baycox (
    the piglet one) for cocci, this is the only cocci med we can get here in Australia without having to see the vet. I was given some Baycox in a jar (not the original jar) but it is a clear looking liquid, is this the piglet Baycox? if not, are you familure with the one I have?.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the one I have is white not clear -- shake it maybe it needs to be mixed a bit?

who did you get the baycox from? I would ask them

9. Galavanting Goat

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks Stacey, by the looks of it it is the Baycox for poultry (only half the strength). I got it from a couple quite a while back but they are no longer contactable.

I had a look on the Jurox? website and it fits the description but its supposed to be put into water for poultry, but the couple that gave me the Baycox wrote on the jar "1 ml for every 4 kg" so i'm not sure what to do with it now.

If anyone has ever used the poultry Baycox on goats/goat kids I would really appreciate if you could share how you administer it and in what quantity, Thanks, Donna.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I would compare the strength of the active ingredient to the one of the piglet kind and see if its the same. If so then I would just do as you have instructions for. I know the piglet kind is flavored and made more like a pasty liquid but it could just be for being able to easily dose as opposed to dispersing in water.