The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kid is 4 mo old i weaned him 2 weeks ago and in the last few days he is not eating labored breathing w the low sick sounding baa. Is it pneumonia! Or what?? I gave 2cc penicillin uesterday am and cd&t today. He has weepy eyes that seem better today. HELP ASAP

·
14,615 Posts
What is his temp? Eyes are better cause of the Pen.
Do you have B complex? I'd hit him with a dose of that, it will help his appetite.
If pnemonia someone else will chime in about that.
He might be a little depressed.

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
I would get a temp on him...if its high he will need a better antibioitc than Pen g...Tylan 200 or simular...however if Pen G is all you have continue to give it...for five full days...

normal temp range is 101.5-103.5...

hows his poop? berries, or runny? for congestion you can give him Tussen...

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
yes you can give it the same day even at the same time...robitussen is fine..
were you able to get a temp?

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
6 cc per 100# for robintussin...

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
Pen G is 1 cc per 20# do you have 24 or 48 hour?

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
ok..so no temp
congested, ikie eyes ( abit better today)
gave pen yesturday
is he restless....wont lay for long??? this is important...

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
ok...good...my fear was interstitial Pneumonia also known as silent Pneumonia is hard to detect until your goat is down..small signs are easily missed..normal temp is often found...the goat is off by himself..wont lay or sit due to the pressure of fluid around his lungs...Fever could peek then drop...sometimes we misdiagnose it because of low temp we think it has to to with the rumen..

I would continue the Pen G and Tussen...keep him hydtrated...if he is not drinking add a bit of molasses and baking soda to fresh cool water and offer it to him...grass hay only..no feed or grain...until he is 100% :) best wishes

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
your welcome..keep a close ear on his breathing..if it seems to worsen get him up..laying down makes it worse..but the robitussen should help with that..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts