The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly don't know where to post this but here goes, mods feel free to move to another forum if more appropriate...
One of my goat kids has the weirdest coat - it doesn't seem to have any guard hairs, just cashmere! The hairs on her face are a bit silkier but most of her is just soft bunnyfluff. She is excellent to cuddle I must say! I don't think the photo shows it all that well, but have included it because she's cute :laugh:
It doesn't seem to affect her health at all, possibly she's even faster to run for cover when it rains than the other kids...
anyone seen anything like this before? PS she is a rare New Zealand miniature breed, Rawhiti. They are most closely related to Old English, but much smaller.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
shes adorable. Looks like she just has an abudance of cashmere...I had a little boer doe who was like that..even in summer months..

Does she have access to loose minerals?
how is your copper levels?
check for worm load

if all checks out, then I would say she just naturally carries a thicker cashmere fur...

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I also have a boer doe who has this type of coat! I like happybleats term "an abundance of cashmere" - that EXACTLY describes our Brook. When she was born her coat did not seem different than any other kids but now she is 1.5 years old and SO fluffy - ALL year! She is a healthy girl and the coat does not seem to have any negative effects.

·
Registered
170 Posts
She looks so cuddily! :-D. Not sure about why her coat is like that but she looks healthy so it must be a heredity thing. Have you seen any family members? Are they like that at all?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No other family members with that coat - her mum, aunt, big sister and cousin are all normal and so is dad and all of dad's offspring. She's just a fluffy lass! She does have access to a goat-specific mineral. She has just been treated for worms, did have worms but seems to be a resistant type (rawhitis are known for being able to cope with worms much better than other goats). She seems to be a particularly healthy wee girl, she has been growing rapidly and is quite chunky. Interesting that the other people who have seen this all have boers, I don't think rawhiti are related to boers at all? I think you guys are right she is just blessed with lots of cashmere!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.