goat kid with strange coat?!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by chatoyance, Nov 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. chatoyance

chatoyance New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Honestly don't know where to post this but here goes, mods feel free to move to another forum if more appropriate...
    One of my goat kids has the weirdest coat - it doesn't seem to have any guard hairs, just cashmere! The hairs on her face are a bit silkier but most of her is just soft bunnyfluff. She is excellent to cuddle I must say! I don't think the photo shows it all that well, but have included it because she's cute :laugh:
    It doesn't seem to affect her health at all, possibly she's even faster to run for cover when it rains than the other kids...
    anyone seen anything like this before? PS she is a rare New Zealand miniature breed, Rawhiti. They are most closely related to Old English, but much smaller.

[​IMG]

2. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    She is gorgeous ! Cant help you with the coat question though , but I do love her face , such a pretty girl :) I could hug her all day , lolol.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    shes adorable. Looks like she just has an abudance of cashmere...I had a little boer doe who was like that..even in summer months..

Does she have access to loose minerals?
    how is your copper levels?
    check for worm load

if all checks out, then I would say she just naturally carries a thicker cashmere fur...

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I also have a boer doe who has this type of coat! I like happybleats term "an abundance of cashmere" - that EXACTLY describes our Brook. When she was born her coat did not seem different than any other kids but now she is 1.5 years old and SO fluffy - ALL year! She is a healthy girl and the coat does not seem to have any negative effects.

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I do wonder if it is hereditary though! Brook is due in March so I will find out.

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Since I started copper bolusing I have about 6 that are fluffy like that.

7. AvyNatFarm

AvyNatFarm New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    NC
    She looks so cuddily! :-D. Not sure about why her coat is like that but she looks healthy so it must be a heredity thing. Have you seen any family members? Are they like that at all?

8. phydough

phydough New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    She is so pretty!

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Beautiful little one!

10. goatgirl16

goatgirl16 Active Member

Nov 21, 2012
    I have boer doe with same type of fur!!!

11. chatoyance

chatoyance New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    No other family members with that coat - her mum, aunt, big sister and cousin are all normal and so is dad and all of dad's offspring. She's just a fluffy lass! She does have access to a goat-specific mineral. She has just been treated for worms, did have worms but seems to be a resistant type (rawhitis are known for being able to cope with worms much better than other goats). She seems to be a particularly healthy wee girl, she has been growing rapidly and is quite chunky. Interesting that the other people who have seen this all have boers, I don't think rawhiti are related to boers at all? I think you guys are right she is just blessed with lots of cashmere!