Goat Kidding question... Resolved, we hope :)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jay13, Mar 12, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    ok, my neighbor said that her goat just kidded with a single then the afterbirth. She said that it seems to have gone too quick, only one towel, not as messy as the first ... she is extremely worried that there might be a baby stuck in there... is it possible there is one there? How would she check?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Goat Kidding question... extremely worried about doe

"Bumping" will allow her to check externally. Straddle the doe and face her butt, put hands under her belly and pull upward, let the belly drop back into your hands, if there is a full term kid in there you'll feel it hit your hands when you drop the belly. Otherwise, she'll need to scrub up and go into the doe and feel for a kid.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Sometimes they can throw one and a couple of big bubbles are hanging out. This is not true afterbirth (placenta) Posibly more to come how long has it been since the 1st?
    I wouldnt wait much longer than a half hr if neighbor needs help going in she is going to have to remove all jewlery make sure finger nails are very short& wash up.
    Start by inserting a couple fingers at a time in a cupped motion, working gently in a semi circle.

If you need help feel free to call

4. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

she had the first kid around 1130 but the afterbirth was not delivered until 1pm... does this make a difference?

5. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

what does it look like? if its long & stringy with lots of little balls on it then she could be done BUT if she has a gut feeling that there's more kids she should check. I'll pm with my 3 just incase...

6. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

Ok, from what she said she may or may not call ... she seems a bit reluctant to consult a stranger. Funny, she called me and I'm a noob...lol. I hope it all works out well for her. Thank you Nancy for offering your advice! She is going to call a vet if she thinks there might be any further complications.

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

At this point if she's still worried the vet should be called if #s 1 & 2 are going on;

#1 if doe has two sacs hanging out, one red & the other opaque, she is not done call vet as too much time has passed.
    #2 If she is still pushing & getting nowhere call vet.
    #3 If long bloody string with little knots of (I dont know proper term) yellowish balls hanging she is done.

Dont want to alarm but these things happen; A couple weeks ago doe had the first kid. Half hr later two front feet hanging out.
    Went in could not find head. I fished & fished could not find it.
    2hrs passed vet finally got here & pulled him. Also pulled #3.
    Little boy died shortly after.
    While waiting for vet doe had stopped pushing.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

if she's still trying to push, and its not the placenta hanging out, then i'd assume theres another kid. bumping works good to like liz said

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

sounds like a normal birth to me

kid is out, afterbirth is out -- all is good.

Is the goat acting in distress? why is she worried?

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree...if the doe is acting normal and not acting off....not pushing and is eating ect.... then.. she sounds like she is done..... The timing of when she dropped her afterbirth is normal...I have seen some take longer.... :wink:

11. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Re: Goat Kidding question... resolved :)

:::Update::: Ok, seems like she was just worried because this birth was so unlike the first one a couple weeks ago is all. She went out and bumped her and didn't seem like anything was in there. Verified that the placenta did indeed look like the pics on the Fiasco website and the doe seems fine, just a FF and not much interested in her kid. So it seems like alls well that ends well :)

Thank you all again for the help and support!

12. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh that's great news!