Goat kidding

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jenparrish24, Nov 24, 2009.

1. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    I am new to having goats and just started with them this summer. I have 2 Nannies that are bred. One i just got a month ago and i was told she was only 2 months bred, but she is bagging up,her vulva is very nice sized and she has lost her tail head ligaments, i brought her into a small pen from pasture last week when i realized she was acting really different. She was not tame at all and now she wants attention and everything. she is very restless and comes out of her stall just to see what my other Nanny is doing , or to eat when i give them grain. when in her stall or when i make her get out she is up and down and scratching at her sides and doesn't stay still. even in her stall she is up and down alot. Too me having worked with cattle she acts like she is going to kid soon,but i truely don't know. She is a first time freshener.

My other nanny i had in with my billy for 4 months but i only saw him breed her 3 months ago and then again about 2 months ago.This Nanny is only 9 months old. She doesn't show to me if she is actually bred or not but my Buck is rented out right now and i don't have him. I have a couple pictures of them if you wouldn't mind taking a look and telling me what you think. They are pictures of their back sides because tried to fgure it out by the pooch test, but don't really know what i am looking for.

It wont let me attach the pics to here it says they are too big, but if anyone is willing to look at them and hep me figure out if my one will kid soon, or if the other is bred i would appreciate it. My email for you to email me is [email protected], if you email me there i will email them to you.

I am just confused about when to expect the kid or kids.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
    Jennifer (Jen) Parrish

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome ...Jennifer ...glad to have you here.... :wave:
    Your doe does sound like she is getting closer.... Doesn't seem to be just 2 months along if she is bagging up now..FF are easier to see the starting of udder development.....normally ...they do it around the fourth month of being preggo....
    To me it sounds as if she was bred and may of took sooner then was told to you.....
    She may be uncomfortable...with the babies pushing on things inside.....it is her first time..and she doesn't know what is happening with her body..... I'd say.. if her new udder ..is starting now.....she sounds like ...she has about a month to go..... but then again...some bag up at the last minute.....I would keep an eye on her anyway.....not knowing the actual due date and with the things she is doing... Posting pics of them ...may help.... :hug:

Pooch tests can be tricky.... :wink:

I sent you an e-mail .......

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok so the one doe you bought a month ago they said she was 2 months along that would put her at 3 months -- which is quite normal for them to start to bag up and act uncomfortable.

I would contact the previous owners and ask if there was any awy she was bred sooner then that and if not then she probably is just overly dramatic about her pregnancy ;)

welcome to TGS :wave:

you can send pictures to [email protected] Im at work but can check when I get home after 8:00pm

4. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Ok so she has some yellowish/off white mucus now, it may actually have been there before, but now more noticeable. She has had straw stuck to her vulva and in it a lot so I think there has been some just not seen, but now I have seen it all day. I can feel the babies or baby moving inside when I rub her belly, when I push in the little guys kick and move their heads. I can feel the head of one every night, she loves when I rub her belly. She used to not let me even 5 feet from her so it is so exciting. I can't wait!

When I feel the babies I know it is a baby because I know that it isn't her rumen movements because you can feel it so well. It is so cool.

Sorry I know I am babbling but I am so excited!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Jen, :wave: You have every right to be excited.

I would do as Stacey said. Get a hold of the other owner and see if by any chance she could of been bred before that date they gave.

I would say she is a lot closer. Now how do you know you are feeling for the ligaments correct? Are they gone, mushy or what. Did you send the picture to Stacey? Are you using Photobucket? If so just re size the picture to about a medium.

I am excited for you. Do you have your kidding kit ready?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    according to the pictures sent to me the doe looks to have 2 months to go unless she SUDDENLY fills up that udder greatly

7. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    So her udder is a lot bigger than in the pics from last week, her vulva is gapped open when laying down too. She ate some feed this morning but not the usual, plus she is usually wanting more feed and when I went over to the fence with the bucket before leaving for family thanksgiving, she wasn't interested in it either.

She is huge and her vulva is loose when I shut her in by her self she was very calm and very relaxed without My other one insight. So I think she is getting closer. I also couldn't feel the babies in the spots they are usually in. I can usually feel the head of one as soon as I push on her stomach but it wasn't there and I can usually feel it morning and night.

I am pretty sure I am feeling the ligaments correctly. I can wrap My fingers around the tailhead and her tailhead is raised and I don't feel anything there. It has been like that for almost a week though. When I try to do that with My other one I can't even come close to even getting My fingers next to her tail head.
    So excited!! Well I think it is real possible since the nannies bad does where I got My nannyies has bucks running with them all year. There are 3 or 4 bucks in with all of them, so I think she really could have been bred before they thought.

Talk to you soon! I am just getting so excited!

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Sounds like she's getting really close. Good luck!

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    You are going to have babies soon from the sounds of things. :leap: best of luck on your upcoming kidding! :thumbup:

10. Welcome. :wave: Sounds like you got some good advise. For the future if you go to photo bucket and load your pics there you can attach very easy. Keep us posted and show us pics of those babies when you get them! :leap:

11. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Well No babies yet, but she is still losing her plug and bagging up ore each day. :shrug: When i have touched to feel her udder, she has leaked some milk out on my hand a couple of times here these past few days. And i wasn't even trying to get any or touch her teats at all just her udder.

So i have gotten everything ready, I just hope it isn't on a day when it is so cold here. Yesterday would have been perfect, but nothing.

I will keep you informed and thank you everyone for your help.

Jen

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    once the udder gets shiny and tight then you know she is getting ready to kid within 12 hours.

13. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Ok so she has been screaming at me all day and when I go into the pen she goes in her stall and stands there. She acts goofy until I rub her belly, then she calms down. She is not very tame and I still can hardly touch her udder without her going crazy. She has been breathing a lot different these past few hours, and very restless, but no clear or mucusy discharge showing the beginning signs of labor. She has lost a lot of he plug these past few days and yesterday was the day I thought she would go she went pee and when she did a lot of mucus came out and she was stalled all day but nothing.

Along with her different breathing she is grunting a lot but I don't notice any pushing and there isn't a bag or placenta hanging.

Earlier today I could feel the slight movement of one baby and I could feel its heart beat and even let My husband feel. He thought that was so cool.

She is starting to strut some now in the udder, but as far as seeing shine, I couldn't come close to her with clippers she got ruts on me.

I am nervous it will happen in below zero weather the end of the week. I have a heat lamp and a lot of straw and Hay in the stall. I just hope it is warm enough for her and the kids.

Jen

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Being demanding of your attention is a sign of her getting closer, when her udder is full, her rear legs will go "posty".....there are pics for reference here in the kidding koral. One of the things that really tell me that my does are imminent with delivery is the fact that they will snub either their grain or hay, if they eat their grain they won't touch their hay as well as the opposite...will rip into their hay and will snub their grain. Even without an udder clip, you'll be able to see the fullness.....the hair around the teats will literally disappear.

I've had kids born in the single digits here and never used a heat lamp, I have boxed stalls and deep bedding as well as puppy sweaters for the babies til they are 2-3 days old.

15. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Yeah she is eatting both right now but grunting and her eyes in the last few hours are squinty. She actually didn't go after her Hay when I put more in for her tonight, but she did eat her grain.

I will go and get a few puppy sweaters tomorrow I think she will have twins atleast I can feel 2 heads or could the other day. Then just felt 1 yesterday and 2day and the heart beat.

You can still are the hair on her teats, but instead of being straight down they are strutting out to the inside of her legs.

Just want things to go well for her first kidding! She loves her belly rubbed and it seems to be what makes her calm but she usually doesn't let me that close unless I grab her by the collar and hold her in place to touch her.

Hope it doesn't happen in the night.

16. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Well no babies yet, she looks like she could kid anytime now, udder strutted, vulva open, discharge almost clear mucus, but she just won't give em up.
    I figured the snow storm here would initiate her but nothing. A friend of mine said they had 13 calves hit the ground yesterday do to the onset of the storm, but My doe just won't have em. She is eating her grain but not her Hay she is more less just pawing the Hay and laying in it. I have pretty thick bedding in there, but she likes to lay up by the door these past few days and is putting the Hay there.
    I would have thought that she would have had them by now.

Jen

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The nesting she's doing is suggesting she's getting closer.....and yes, she'll hold onto them until you are ready to pull the last strands of hair from your head!

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have a wig on standby... pull out it's hair and not your own.....those does .....drive us crazy ....when they are close to kidding..... :hair: :hug:

19. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Ok so I don't know why she hasn't had them yet, but who knows I guess she is just being a goat.

Her pooch is almost level out with her anus and her vulva is just so huge and she is huge belly wise like she could pop. I let her out today to run around though she waddled around legs mosly stiff and just acted so uncomfortable! I think time is very close but I also though 3 weeks ago was close, so what do I know, she keeps proving me wrong these days!lol everyone here thinks I am crazy and says she is never gona have them.

I have been checking her every 2 hours during the night for over a week, but no babies when I check.

It would have been perfect for her to have them today since the weather was in the 40's just think she wants me to go crazy. Lol

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She'll be going when the weather goes nasty and when you are just about to crack.....when the time comes though, you will definately know, you've been watching her closely now that you are likely going cross eyed so you will really be able to tell when she starts "acting different".