The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Goats are still innocent. The Mtn Goat is not a goat, being of the order Artiodactyla and the family Bovidae that includes antelopes, gazelles, and cattle.

This unfortunate incident should be a reminder to us all though.

As 'user friendly' as our parks get, we forget that we are surrounded by an unforgiving sample of the wild. From the article (lacking any other witness interviews), it sounds as though he was alone. This is a mistake that many of us make, excusing ourselves that we have our herd with us.

In the canyons that are just fifteen minutes from Salt Lake City, people die every summer by entering the mountains as though it were a city park. They have no foul weather gear, no maps, no first aid kits, no flashlights. Occasionally, they are stalked by mountain lions and chased by moose. One of the most common errors is simply going down an unfamiliar slope and getting stuck where they can't go down any farther or return the way they came. The same error which is common in slot canyons.

When you have a 'runner's high' from hiking, and no buddy to check your casual choices along the way, mistakes are easy to make.

I'll go out alone again. But hopefully I'll think twice about the risks I take and err on the side of caution. There is a reason we hunted the dinosaurs to extinction. They didn't play nice either. ;-)

·
Registered
847 Posts
I stand corrected. I found a longer article that said he was with two others. He sent them on while he tried to scare the goat away by himself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.