The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about three weeks ago, one of my Boer does started limping on one front leg for no apparent reason. Since then, the other doe I have in the same pen has started limping on the same leg. I also have a wether in with them, and all three of them in the past week have started to lay down constantly, even while eating. They all are eating and drinking, and seem to be perfectly fine otherwise. There is no heat in their legs, nothing seems to be abnormal, and their hooves are fine. The knees of the legs that both does are limping on do seem to be slightly swollen, but it's honestly only noticeable if you really look hard. What could be the problem? My mom seems to think that it might be because they are not in a very large area (we're in the process of building a new pasture), so they aren't getting much exercise. Even before this happened, they really didn't do much unless I walked them. I have penicillin, should I just try giving them that for a while and see if it helps?

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I would have them tested for CAE before you do anything. Also, really check their feet good and make sure they don't have foot rot or any type of foot problem.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I would have them tested for CAE before you do anything. Also, really check their feet good and make sure they don't have foot rot or any type of foot problem.
I agree completely. if it's in the knees it sure sounds like cae. where did you get these goats? you need to draw blood asap and get it tested waddl tests on wednesday, but there maybe a lab closer a sooner than that. i hope these are the only goats you have because you need to have everyone tested. this is why I always say TEST, TEST, TEST!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I have to get a vet to do the test, or can I just do it myself? I've never had CAE in my herd and I've had goats for 8 years. Since they are my show goats, they are completely separate from the rest, except for my two other Boers, who are in a separate pen that butts up to theirs.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ok so I had this problem too if u spread their hoof and look in the middle and touch it do they jump because I thought it was the knees but it turned out to be a type of hoof rot tht is up in their hooves ... Also clean their feet on it then get this stuff called hoof and heel and u just squirt it on their feet and it makes them better also if it is hoof rot she gave us medicine called Excenel RTU , but it is like 200$ a bottle :( hope that's not what it is :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I had this problem too if u spread their hoof and look in the middle and touch it do they jump because I thought it was the knees but it turned out to be a type of hoof rot tht is up in their hooves ... Also clean their feet on it then get this stuff called hoof and heel and u just squirt it on their feet and it makes them better also if it is hoof rot she gave us medicine called Excenel RTU , but it is like 200$ a bottle :( hope that's not what it is :)
Actually they had that type of hoof rot a while ago, I suppose it's possible that it didn't clear up completely. The two Boers next to them still have it, but it's gotten much better since I started giving them penicillin.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
You can draw the blood yourself and send it in. BioTracking has instructions on their website and you can even buy kits from them to have what you need to do it.

But if you had foot rot problems, I would definitely start treating them again for that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think I'm going to bother with the CAE test, I gave them penicillin yesterday and exercised them, and today they aren't limping at all. It looks to me like the one that was limping the worst does have hoof rot again, so I'll keep treating for that. Thankfully we are in the process of building a whole new pasture just for the Boers, so they'll be out of their area soon.

Where can I get copper sulfate? Just at a feed store? Is it just in a bag? My vet said to mix it with water and soak their feet in it for the hoof rot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The issue has continued, getting no better and no worse, so I called my vet and she gave me an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory pills to try, and it seems to have worked great :leap: ! I only got a dose for the doe that was the worst to see if it helped, so now I'm going to get doses for the other two that have the same issue. Hopefully it'll clear up and the two does will be able to build up before the state fair in October!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts