The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 3 goats that we rescued, one is a female pygmy we have had for about 4 years. Tonight, about 20 minutes after I put her in her pen, I heard her vocalizing so I went out to the barn to find her laying on her back, all 4 legs spread out, and screaming like she does when it is snowing and the "alpha" goat won't let her inside the barn. I flipped her over and she got up and jumped up on to the ledge where she normally sleeps. I checked her over and she is walking fine. I guess it is possible that she could have fallen from her ledge (about 18 inches off the ground) on to the straw on the floor, but I'm confused as to why she would not be able to "right" herself and instead would just lay there and scream. This had been going on for about 4 or 5 minutes before I went out to see what was going on. I'm going to go and check on her throughout the night, but does anybody have any experience in this sort of behavior? We mostly rescue old dogs, but we get the occasional farm animal. I am a little out of my element on this one...

·
I'm watching you
22,551 Posts
That is a strange one. The only thing I can think of is that the straw made a hollow under back and she couldn't twist herself over enough to get up.

I would give her a good going over in the daylight tomorrow and watch for any staggery behavior or weakness to the back legs though.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
poor baby....I agree....check for adrunken walk...look at her eyes and see if they are "dancing" a bit..any head twinsting or slack of jaw?
Get her temp...101.5-103.5 is normal range

how deep is her bedding? like Goathiker suggested..its it nice and thick she may have gotton stuck in its deepness..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Thanks everybody! I appreciate all of the input. She seemed okay the rest of last night and all of today. She is eating and drinking normally. I guess she may have just gotten "stuck." The straw is only a couple of inches deep, but she is not a dainty little gal, and she was flattened out a bit when I found her, so it is entirely possible that she just couldn't roll over and just looked so bad (to me, at least) because she was that way for awhile. I'll be keeping an eye on her, for sure. But I just want to thank everyone again for your responses! I didn't know that this web site existed until last night, and now I know where to go with all of my goat-related questions and issues. Which, I hope, will be few and far between...

·
I'm watching you
22,551 Posts
But you must come back soon for the conversation and fellowship now. We have many great categories for posting pictures and telling stories. There's even a spot for dog stories, pictures, and questions.

·
Administrator
85,708 Posts
Glad to help. :thumb:

Sounds like she should be OK. When they are upside down like that for too long, they may get fluid in their lungs, so if it has been a couple of days, you are doing good so far. I would watch her for 1 week or two closely. If she stops eating, get a temp right away. Do you have probiotics and fortified vit B complex? If so, I would give her some.

I once had a Buck out in the field who laid down in a spot the LGD had dug a hole in, he rolled on his side and rolled the wrong way, putting him into that hole and not being able to get up, he was completely upside down, all 4 hooves in the air, he was paddling. He wasn't there too long but, I did watch him and also watch closely for holes or uneven ground, so no one else gets flipped like that.

Welcome by the way and if you have any questions, find the proper category and ask away, we are here. No question is dumb or treated that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts