Goat LICE!? - HOW do I stop it? HELP!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jBlaze, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Ok, silly me I went and got some free pygora goats several months ago. dumb for sure. Well, they had lice. I thought I git it, but seems I haven't. I have not checked to see if the rest of the herd, dairy and purchased pygoras have it, but it only makes sense to me that they would. I have pregnant does and new kids also that I would have to treat.
    At least I think it's lice, they are tiny brown things, actually look a little like fleas on a dog, but I don't see them jump, a lighter brown, and not hard like a dog flea. other ideas?
    :hair:
    What I want to know is: HOW the heck do I get RID of it? Really gone? With the preg does, mamas, babies, everyone?
    :cry:
    I have tried the garden and poultry powder (same as corral dust), and it did not keep them gone. I really dusted the heck out of them after I sheared them last fall, and their pens.
    :help:
    Please help with any ideas, suggestions and experience you may have to offer.
    :help: :help:
    Thanks,
    J.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    you may want to look at my post that I believe was titled something to the effect of "Help I found external parasites" there is alot of information there about what you can use on pregnant does, kids, and adults!

Hope that helps!

Allison

goat2love likes this.

3. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Allison, I can't find it?

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  5. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Every goat has lice, they are usually harmless unless you get an infestation. Try worming with Ivermectin 10 days apart. Also, don't worry they are species specific. Meaning your kids, you, your dog, ETC. ETC. Can't get them. :)

6. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I know that they are specie specific thank goodness, or I would get rid of all the critters in my fit of freaking out!

I am not ready to accept that they are always going to be there. I NEVER saw any when all I had was dairy goats. There has to be a way to make them stay away.

I see nothing wrong with the skin or hair of my goats, just see little flea like bugs that move around when I am shearing the pygoras. I will try to look at the rest of the herd tonight and then let you know. (ran out of time yesterday after I sheared the latest.)

(btw, the free pygoras are more angora-like than the ones I bought if that matters.)

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I don't mean there has been a lot of them. Maybe 10 or 20 accross the whole body of the goat, but these goats had more. That's my guess.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    jBlaze. Just go to the store and buy some 7 dust or livestock dust. Put it down their back and gently shake it around on the body of the goat. Neck to tail and it will fall down their sides. I was just combing by goats and I found those little boogers also. I have to say I have only had them once before and I do not believe they are always there, now I do know that the Angora goats are known to have them all the time because of the mohair and how think it is, but again I have only had them once before and that was when the whole barn at the fair had them.
    Do any of you goats eyelids a little white, that have the lice? IF she just give them a little red cell to help.
    I think really you are lucky if you got free goats and they only had lice. That is a very easy thing to treat. I would dust all the goats, along with their bedding. Once the goats are in the bedding so are the lice.

Really you have a very easy fix. Congratulations on the new goats.

9. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Thanks Lori, but I already did that and they have it still. Grrr. :(

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would do it every three days. That is what we had to do for the time that they got them at the County Fair. Also, you can try putting Vinegar in a spray bottle and spray them really good. I have hear that works but I can not do it because of my Cashmere fiber.
    If you still have them and they were dusted really well, then you missed them in the bedding. Just do it every few days.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Lavender essential oil will make the lice go away, just put it on the topline. Goats will be calmer too :wink: :)

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Apple cider vinegar works great! I used it on my goats and its safe for the young ones. Just put it full strength in a spray bottle and soak them with it.

13. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Wouldn't spraying them make them all very cold, espically the little ones. And what do you suppose it would do to the fleeces of the pygoras? Summer time on shaved dairy goats, sure, but in March in Oregon, I don't think that is reasonable. I have heard that putting vinegar in the water makes the lice not want to bite the goat, they taste bad. :)

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You can try putting it in the water. If it was me I would just wait till it was warmer and then use it, or use something else. Sorry have no idea what the weather is like anywhere else lol. No idea what the vinegar would do to fleece. I have just used it on my ND's with excellent results.

You can also try DE ->diamateous earth I think is how you spell it. But I don't have any experience with it so I couldn't tell you much about it. :shrug:

15. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Lavendar, hummm. How much?
    :)

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I use the permectrin that was in the post that I had previously. Trob1 gave me the dilutions to use and it worked almost instantly!!

I have had no problems since I started using it.

17. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Started using to me implies more than once. ?
    How often and when? (and what kind of goats?)

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have done 2 treatments now - the first was the beginning of February. Within 3 days I could not find any lice on any of the animals and there was no more itching and biting at themselves.

I was told to apply it once a month. I also sprayed my barn walls and flooring.

I associate it with using frontline on dogs and cats. So I just use it at the beginning of the month and have no issues so far.

19. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Knowing nothing about goat pests/bugs I may be way off here but as stated above DE (diatomaceous earth) kills all external parasites including lice, ticks and fleas on all other farm animals. You just need to make sure you have the food grade DE as that is safe for all animals and people. You can sprinkle it on the animal, around their bedding, on their feed and around their pen ... it really works great and is completely safe.

Having said the above --- I don't know about using it with pregnant does ... you would want to verify it's safe before using it with them.

20. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    We use DE here in the chicken coop. We also sprinkle it around the area where we keep all of out feeds. I've not used it for the goats yet for one reason: DE is only effective if dry. Once it is wet it looses it's integrity. Since our goats seam to love the rain and the snow we would have to reapply the stuff every day. An old farmer down the road told us that putting apple cider vinegar in the water works well. So once a week I do that and we haven't had any problems yet.