The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a percentage 2 year old ff Boer that kidded in June. Since June she has lost weight and developed a poor looking coat (her hair sticks up in all different directions). She was recently wormed along with her kid. I noticed this morning that she is now limping and favoring her front leg. Her hoof looks good and there is no heat. Any ideas? Forgot to mention her appetite is still good and there are no visible signs of injury.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention it was colder (high 30's) here this morning than what it has been. Not sure if that is contributing. Also when her leg was messed with she did not act like it was hurting her. We only have 3 goats right now and I am wanting to have the vet come out and test for CAE/CL soon (2 of the goats came from the same farm and the baby was born here.

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
Check her knees...see if there is any swelling...CAE wil cause unthriftiness, many time CAE doesnt present itself at all.. I had three come up positive that were in perfect condition..I would also have a fecal done to be sure your wormer is doing its job.

If all is well there,,,then it could be she twisted her leg and time will heal...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check her knees...see if there is any swelling...CAE wil cause unthriftiness, many time CAE doesnt present itself at all.. I had three come up positive that were in perfect condition..I would also have a fecal done to be sure your wormer is doing its job.

If all is well there,,,then it could be she twisted her leg and time will heal...
When I have them testedfor CAE do I just do her or will it be ok to do doe (2 months old) and doe (7 months old)? I hope it's just a sprain! But I am nervous :(

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The doe at 2 months is too young to get accurate results. Test the mom and the 7 month old. You can give her baby aspirin to help with the pain
1 or 2 baby ASA? And the 2 month old is still on mom will it bother her by giving mom the aspirin?

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
The baby will be fine..you can give mom two baby or one adult...you dont want to relieve her pain too much that she forgets it hurts...you want her to feel a little discomfort so she dont over use it...If it were me, I wouldnt give anything if she is using the leg a little for this reason...but if she is in a lot of pain and has it all the way up nt using it at all I would give the aspirin...

as for testing..amyboogie is correct...only mom and the 7 months old can be tested..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ladies! She is still walking on it at this point just favors it. I'm going to trim her feet tomorrow and really look around. I checked her knees and they are not swollen. I will keep you updated. I plan on calling the vet Monday to have a fecal done and check on testing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We trimmed Butterscotch's feet yesterday and on the the foot she was limping on the outside wall had pulled apart from the hoof. We soaked her foot in bleach water and trimmed all the loose wall away, soaked again then after dried put iodine on it. Not sure if this is what was bothering her but will keep an eye on it. While doing this we decided to trim all her feet and accidentally got to close on her back foot:( She has always had feet that grow fast and odd with the wall pulling away. Could she be cooper deficient??

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
Sounds like the hoof could have been the issue..be careful not to trim the wall to high up..just keep it even with the pad the best you can and trim it a few times a week to keep it that way as it grows out...until the area not pulled away from the wall has caught up to the pad..
I have some goats I need to trim more often than others..high proties foods will cause rapid hoof growth, loose minerals out free choice can help with any deficiency. Copper may need to be given...
here is a good article on hoof rot
http://extension.psu.edu/courses/meat-goat/health/foot-rot/treatment
best wishes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts