The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a goat that recently had a high fever about 106.5 was at its peak, we treated it with prescription and that finally has gone down and she seemed fine a couple days later, well after recovering from that she must have figured out a way to injure her leg, because she started limping on it yesterday and making pain noises, we gave her pain medicine to help with the pain, she is still able to put some weight on it today, but seems like it started to swell up a little bit up by her knee, would a severe sprain swell. I can't feel a broken bone but I am not a vet. I have tried calling vets but it is like pulling teeth to get one to respond around here. So my question is do broken bones in goats begin to swell up, and would she be bearing any weight on it if it was broken.?

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
She received single antibiotic shot? Do you know what it was? Normally a 5 day treatment is needed. While could be injury,, Joint ill is still possible. The infection hits either the joints or kidney and bladder. I had this happen to a buck after a run with high temp from pneumonia.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Hows her temp now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet hit her with draxen, her temperature this morning was 102.3. That's what I thought she should have been given a prescription for it, but was only given meloxicam and vitamin B and thiamine. We used the last of meloxicam. Then we woke up to this yesterday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like injury.

Usually if it is a break, they will not bare weight on it.
Breaks and sprains swell.

An X-ray would be good, to know.
So how long would meloxicam stay in a goats system we gave her the last one last night at 6pm. Her temperature was 104.5 when we gave it to her buts been 81 degrees here and she's a fully black goat. So I know there temperature can vary a degree or so because of heat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just took her temperature and it was.104.9, gave her some ibuprofen, she is acting relatively normal besides her temperature and her leg being swollen, if we cannot get a vet would LA-200 affect her if she is pregnant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts