Goat Logging System! (One of my wacky ideas)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by 4-HGoatGirl, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. 4-HGoatGirl

4-HGoatGirl Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie

Jul 4, 2013
    Louisiana
    I've always loved the idea of cart goats and having one of my own. So, when I was outside earlier today with my goats, I came up with a plan to be able to have the goats(two yearling pygmies) pull a small tree branch with just things I have around the shed. The computer sketch below shows the layout of what I intend to be the pulling system. The gray blobs are the goats. Attached to them are leashes, which I found inside my goat shed. The pink things attached to the yellow leashes are to make the handles of the leashes stand out. The brown/greenish coloring is the log.

Here's how it works:

My goats with be wearing their collars with their leashes attached to the collars. Then I will bring the branch I want the goats to pull to them. I will then slide the branch into the handles of the leashes. I will direct the goats to pull in the choosen direction.

Safety Measures:

No worries, I'm not going to let my kids get hurt. The branch I want them to pull weighs four pounds at the most. The collars their wearing are dog collars and will be fairly loose.

Like my idea? It's a crazy one for sure. I hope I can have some fun with it though. :cart:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

LOL...make sure it is something they can eat ;)

3. Used2bmimi

Used2bmimi New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Western Colorado
    Well, sounds like fun, but for one thing. I don't think I would want my goats to pull from a collar, even if it is loose. Can you get ahold of a couple of small (foal or pony sized) horse halters? They work great as a substitute for a harness. You just put the part that goes over the horse's nose on the goat over it's head. Then you buckle the part that goes behind the horse's ears around the goat's girth area.(behind it's front legs) Then your goaties can pull in comfort off their chests! I love your logging idea! Have fun!

4. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse New Member

I agree with Mimi, get goat halters or harnesses.

5. OakHollowRanch

OakHollowRanch New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Northern California
    Sounds great! I agree though, you would need a harness. Goats can easily pass out from too much pressure on their necks. That wouldn't be good!

6. TrinityRanch

TrinityRanch Boers & Nubians

Mar 26, 2013
    Central California
    Halters work SO well! Here is Simeon in his. Mind you he's a little fatter than most goats, so your tiny Pygmies might need a smaller size ;)
    I think it would be better to have the pressure on their chest and not necks. If they are pulling from a collar, how will they learn to pull a cart?
    I love your drawing btw :D

[​IMG]

7. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    Aside from what everyone else said, you need something to attach the 2 goats together too. Check out some team harnesses for horses to get an idea of what you need to do. If you are pulling weight, you will want a yolk, not just a harness. You will sore up the goats quickly without the proper equipment.

8. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I've "logged" with my bucks and my sled dogs at different times. I had a modified dog harness rigged up to fit the buck and had him pull my firewood logs for me.

9. MoKa-Farms

MoKa-Farms 4-H Secretary for Life ^.^

Jun 19, 2013
    Lisbon, Maine
    Great idea, but I agree. Get halters or harnesses, and attach the two goats in some way.

10. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Found that out the hard way! Actually i don't think she passed out, but she objected to going where i wanted and lunged away, and then dropped to the ground - certainly scared me.

11. 4-HGoatGirl

4-HGoatGirl Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie

Jul 4, 2013
    Louisiana
    Well, now I'm reading this thinking about what an idiot I am. I just went to the feed store, and probably won't go until a while. Guess I'll have to wait on the horse halters. Oh, well. I decided to go with a lighter piece of wood instead of a branch for the goats to start out with. I can say that after I tried the "logging" today, I do need something to keep the goats together. The stick of wood the goats are pulling now is lighter than a pound, by the way. I think it was alright for today for them to pull from collars. It's just that you can't really go to the feed store and get a goat harness. The horse halter collars are adorable though! Simeon looks so cute, Trinity. Today was fun, but I ended up having to hold on to the piece of wood. So, really my goats found a way to get my to go out there and do the work, just so they can get paid in treats later on in the day. I certainly will be trying to work on directing the goats more, so that they'd litsen to my signals. Oh, well. In the end I had a great time with my kids. And will use what y'all said. Thanks, for your feedback! (By the way, I'm just having some fun with my goats and not really going to use them to log trees. Though from what lotssagoats said, It's probably not that bad of an idea!) :kidred: