Goat losing hair

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Coolbreeze89, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Coolbreeze89

Coolbreeze89 Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Hello! I am new to goats (got them 5weeks ago). I have three Nigerian dwarf goats (triplets), 13 weeks old. The wether is now losing his coarse "outer" hairs and the undercoat is thinning. This is primarily on shoulders and back. I can see a stripe down his back, but his tail is perky and not split. They graze in our fields all day, have access to Timothy hay all night when corralled, free choice manna goat mineral from TSC, and get purina goat chow feed at ~5% body weight. I added in black oil sunflower seeds, but they don't seem to eat them (even with molasses mixed in!). I have started sprinkling some mineral on the feed, as I am not sure they eat the free choice that's available. Stools are normal. I preventively treated with corid and safeguard when I got them 5 weeks ago. Happy and active! One sister's coat is perfect, the other sister's coat is mildly thinning, but not like the wether. We live in Texas and it's been 80's, so I expected some shedding, but this seems strange. No itching.

All had CDT at 8 and 12 weeks.

Also, he was banded 1/30/17, both testes confirmed in sac below band. The scrotum has shrunk significantly, but has not fallen off. What's left feels firm, but doesn't appear to be falling off?

I appreciate the experienced insight anyone may provide! I am trying to learn quickly as I adore my new little goaties!

2. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    He is just shedding his winter fur my buck is doing to same thing. As for him not losing his sac I'm not sure I only have bucks.

3. Coolbreeze89

Mar 5, 2017
    Thanks for the reassurance

I appreciate it!

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Are there bald patches? Can you see his skin?

5. Coolbreeze89

Mar 5, 2017
    Bald spots

There are thinner areas, but no actual bald spots.

6. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    If their stools are good and have been dewormed and they are scratching then he's just shedding. Did he have a big winter coat?

7. Coolbreeze89

Mar 5, 2017
    Coat

I don't have a reference point for whether it was a really thick coat or not, but he definitely wasn't bothered by colds temps!

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Could you post a photo?