Goat lost his brother

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by hailey, Sep 13, 2017.

1. hailey

hailey New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    VIC, Australia
    Hi guys,
    I have one mini cashgora wether, Ziggy, who is 2 and a half years old.
    Just over a month ago we suddenly lost his brother.

Ziggy is now on his own which we knew wasn't good for him, so we acquired a young wether. He was a beautiful little goat but Ziggy isn't a big fan of other goats and rammed him into the fence. Little one is okay but we returned him (sadly) as Ziggy was too dangerous for him.

I have had all different types of advice on what to do and just thought I'd acquire some more opinions. He used to ram his brother very occasionally too but it wasn't so bad as they were the same size. We didn't think he would be as hostile as we was to the little one we trialed.

We are reluctant to get another goat as it has been so emotional losing Busta and returning the little one we grew so attached to, but we know Ziggy is a herd animal and will be best with a mate.
    Would a wether or doe (both his own size) be better/most likely cop less hassle from him?
    Thankfully my family and I all have irregular schedules so there is always someone hanging out with him but we still want to exhaust all of our options to make him as happy as possible.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Either would be fine. Same size or a little larger should work.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ditto what Karen says.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry for the loss. :(

Good advice given.