Goat Market

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Oct 10, 2008.

  1. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    For the breeders...what do you have planned for breeding this year? What are your goals for your herd this upcoming year? Will you be breeding more, less, the same amount of goats this year? How is the market holding up in your area? What are your thoughts on the goat market for 2009? You don't have to answer all these!

    Thought this might be an interesting thread.
  2. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'll start...

    I plan to try out my new bucks and get some new bloodlines running through the herd. I plan to breed most of the does this fall/winter then next year most likely breed way less next year. I'm wanting to retain quite a few doe kids next year. Can't wait to see what we get!! I would like to get a few doelings for Camanna, but still kinda debating. It's such a LONG drive! I have my herd exactly how I want it, but what's a few more nice doe kids from Anna??

    The goat market in our area has been doing really well actually, even now. My wethers are selling easily for $100 and $125. Does are selling pretty easy for $250 and I don't usually sell bucks (sold 2 this entire year), when I do they're around $275,,, registered or not. I'm not really sure if next year will be as productive as this year...hoping, but not sure. Time will tell.

  3. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    Plan to only have 3 does kid -- all registered nigerian dwarfs.

    I havent had as many inquieries this fall as I had last fall, but that is hard to tell by.

    I am going to look at a doe tomorrow -- yah I need another goat like a hole in my head ~ to quote Ashely (RunAround)
  4. capriola-nd

    capriola-nd New Member

    Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We're breeding more than last year just because we had so few animals last year.

    We're breeding two of our three pygmy girls. All I want from them are healthy, safe deliveries. :) I have one inquiry on a baby doeling (they wanted a buck but we don't sell pygmy bucks). I have not advertised our pygmies at all except for the NPGA website.

    It looks like we have 10 does bred or planning to breed in 2009, planned due dates starting in January and going towards September. We're spacing them apart. I'm very happy with what our buck gave us this year and so we'll be keeping him around, can't wait to see his daughter's udder. :) I want to add a new sire and possibly a doe from Poppy Patch.

    Goat market has been doing very well in our area too. . . . not as many inquiries as last fall but there have been some. We have three monetary reservations for doe kids and three reservations for wethers. A few on the waiting list.
    I just sold a reg. doe kid the other day for $375 (the most I've ever gotten for a goatie!) and the lady was so nice, she gave me an extra $75 to meet her somewhere w/ Carrie. She just fell in love with Carrie. :D

    Hope all goes well in 2009! Glad our herd isn't too big, I couldn't handle that. . . . it seems like a lot now!
  5. heavenlyhaven

    heavenlyhaven Senior Member

    Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i bred 3 does last year and I plan on breeding 5 this year
    all of them dual registered with MDGA/TMGR
    next year i will definetly breed 2
  6. FarmGirl18

    FarmGirl18 New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    The market has been really great in my area right now, at least for me. I've sold several goats for really good prices, and have people that would buy from me if I only had them available. Working out perfect for me, because I only want to feed the goats that are necessary to my breeding program through the winter. I'll be breeding about the same amount for 2009 kids, a few less Nubian's only because I'm getting rid of my grades.
  7. Di

    Di Crazy Goat Lady

    Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'm breeding the same Cashmere girls again (4). I kept their 4 doelings, two of them are going to be big enough to breed this year...the twins I'm not sure... they are a little smaller...but if they are big enough and Casanova is still interested I may breed them in Jan.

    My Nigerians are all disorganized...not their fault...Angel and Bambi are due now...Cocoa and Izzy are due soon. Just bred Carly on the 7th (yep, I watched them and wrote it down :thumbup: ). I kept 2 doelings, but I won't breed them till after March, IF I get another buck.