The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it's been awhile since I've been on this forum! I was just wondering if anyone here who has had to have their goat get a mastectomy? Looks like we may be taking a doe in for this and I was just wondering the outcome?

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does she have mastitis? (just curious).
Yes. Bad. She's had a precocious udder every year since she was around 2 years old (she's 8 this spring and has never been bred). Normally I just milk her out and treat and then dry off without incident. But this year she filled her udder so fast... only it wasn't milk. It is a reddish-brownish yucky looking stuff with clots (no bad smell tho). Had vet out to treat and have been working with vet on her, but she isn't getting better. So we decided that even though this surgery is going to cost a lot more than the goat is worth, we should just go ahead and do it. Hope to hear back from the vet this morning to get it all set up. I'm not looking forward to this!

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Any surgery is risky but doing nothing is also risky...glad you have a good vet on her case

Sending good thoughts!!

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I'm so nervous and stressed about this whole thing. Her appointment is at 11 a.m. tomorrow. It will be an hour and half drive one way. Tink has never been out of their field much less on a long truck ride. We made a transport crate from cattle panels. Not sure how well that will work either.

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We made it to the appointment this morning. Due to this BS covid stuff, we had to wait outside while they did the exam. I really would have liked to have seen what they were doing in there. The vet said that she did NOT have mastitis. She may not even need a mastectomy! Her udder is a mess tho. I was afraid the udder was dying as the skin on the very bottom felt very dry. A few days ago she started dripping the icky stuff through a small hole in the bottom of the udder. They are going to try to find out what the brownish yucky looking stuff is. He said they couldn't do the mastectomy surgery until they cleared that up anyway. So for right now, they are going to treat it as a wound since she isn't actually making milk. She will be in the hospital over the weekend and then with what they find out the next few days, we can make a decision on the surgery. So I still don't know exactly what is going on with her but hope to find out soon. Thank you all for all your good vibes! I really do appreciate it! :hug:

Oh and it's probably going to cost a whole lot more than we originally were led to believe!

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Hope she will do well!!

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I haven't updated yet! Tinker has been home for a week. They decided she did not need a mastectomy. They basically drained the udder through the wound, did debridement and removed diseased mammary tissue. She has a big hole in her udder. It hasn't been fun trying to keep her wound 'clean and dry' since it's rained every day she's been back home, but we've managed. The sun is supposed to shine today so she will get to go outside at least in a small pen. The vet said it's going to take the wound probably around 6 weeks to heal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts