Goat Math

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I thought it would be fun if we all gave examples of our "goat math." :greengrin: Especially since I've just become familiar with this type of mathematics.

My goat math:

Brought home two goats, a doe and a wether. Doe is supposed to be pregnant.
    Within 5 months, doe is NOT pregnant, so I bring home a buck!
    Within 3 months, bring home a young doe.
    Within 3 months, young doe has an accident. :(
    Within 2 months, bring home THREE goats! One older doe, one yearling doe, one doeling.
    Within 20 days, will have MORE goats, as original doe is pregnant.
    Within 1 month, will have MORE goats, as yearling doe is pregnant.

Hmm . . . I blame all of you! I've gone crazy! :hair: :wink:

I bet compared to some of you, mine won't look so bad. So please! Make me feel better. :ROFL: :thumbup:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW you grew fast. Congratulations. It is the best thing to do is accept your crazy :hair: that way we can add you to the list.

OK, my name is Lori and I am a goataholic :ROFL:

I started out with two. Breed and got another one. Found One I had to have. OK 4. That was 8 years ago. I have 29 as of right now but I have sold 26.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh - I don't even know if I want to list mine! LOL!

Aug 07 - bring home 4 goats (1 buck, wether, and 2 does)
    Sept 07 - bring home 1 goat (doe)
    Sept 07 - bring home 3 goats (2 does and a wether) (now up to 8)
    Oct 07 - bring home another buck (now up to 9)
    January 08 - twins born (now to 11)
    March 08 - single, single, and trips born (now up to 16)
    March 08 - bought 3 goats (2 reg does, a boer buck) (now at 19)
    April 08 - Brought home 3 horses, sold all but 1 kid and sold a couple adults (now at ??)
    May 08 - brought home 8 sheep, ...... ok now I am just confused without my notes! :ROFL:

Today - 20 goats, 1 that is going to freezer camp, 6 sheep, 2 horses, 3 dogs and a barn camp with 12 does pregnant!!!

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hello. My name is Kristina and I am a goataholic. :greengrin:

kelebek, that makes me feel better, but the scary thing is, I can see myself having that many! If I had more room anyways. :oops:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    DH just found out I am on the list for a bottle baby angus calf for veil..... LOL

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Haha, I ALMOST picked up a bottle calf to butcher, but thought better of it.

Then hubby found out and asked me why I didn't get it. :roll:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just got an email from them and were asking if I was ready for one next week ---- aghhhhh! I don't have quite enough milk in the freezer for that - as I sold off all my extra - oops!

8. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    I did good for the first year.

Jan 08 bring home (3) 3month old does
    Jan 09 bring home 5 yr old buck for girls

Now all girls hopfully pregos but here is the kicker looking into buying a herd of 10 pymgy goats 3 bucks (1) is 6 weeks old the rest are does and also all bred. soooooooo DH is like what :help: no more till the babys are here

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    back in 1997 I think it was we got our first two does
    bred 2 does and got 1 live kid (one doe didnt settle)
    year later bred 2 does - kept buck kid from one doe = 2 does 1 wether
    sold wether,
    bred 2 does kept one doe kid = 3 does
    sold original doe
    couple years later bred 2 does - died before birth traggically
    bought back one doe kid from previous kiddings, received a freebee =2 does
    bred both does for couple years eventualy kept one doe =3 does
    sold 2 does, 1 doe died old age (freebee)
    bought 2 mini does before sold does left.
    sold one of the mini does, bought 2 does to replace the one (haha) one doe was pregnant, kidded = 4 goats :D
    bought goat to go with buckling born to his new home, decided to keep him
    sold buckling born (with new buddy ;) ) = 4 goats
    rescued 2 pygmy does =6 goats
    bought new doe
    bred all goats (except wether) - 17 goats :shocked:
    bought new doe, sold kids, sold adult does, sold wether = 3 goats
    bought 2 new goats =5 goats

Yup thats my weird goat math

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Ahh . . . I love it. :greengrin:

I can't wait for babies! :stars:

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    In '99 I got a job working at a goat dairy. Spring of 2000 hubby decided to buy all the bucklings born on that dairy to raise for meat. I wanted to keep a couple wethers for pets, but was told by boss/friend and hubby to get a couple doelings. I got 2 doe kids, showed and was bit by show bug after Angel won all her classes. Got a few more doelings, one La Mancha doe and one Nubian doe. Fall/winter of that year, bred all the does to bucks from the dairy. 01 - all does had bucklings except the La Mancha, who had one LM- Boer cross doe who I named Isis. Sold the bucklings for meat and bought two does with doe kids and more doelings. Since then, I've bought, bred and sold goats, trying to keep a base herd of 25. I currently have 27 goats with lots of little goatlings doe this year. There should be 22 bred does. OK - any guesses as to how many babies we'll have?

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    goat maths... hmm

Spring 05 brought home 2 yr old doe and 3 wk old baby... to have 1 goat and sell the baby...
    ...couldnt sell the baby cause the doe would be lonely, right?
    Spring 06 2 new babies born... sold them though
    Spring 07 5 new babies born - sadly 2 died, 2 sold... and kept one, sadly original doe died - grand total still 2 - but then got DEMI woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *coughs* ok back to maths...
    Spring 08 2 new babies born... kept 1 for 9 months so far although still SPOSED to be selling her (grand total 4 now)
    Spring 09 babies due... and buck due! :D

LW

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ummm....I would post all my goat buying dates and such, but we could be here all day. I mean we really could, It would honestly probably take me the whole day day. :ROFL: So i'll just post when I got my very first goat and when I last bought some goats.... :doh: :ROFL:

1998: first goat, a pygmy wether, we didn't have him long, had to sell due to him getting out and there were nasty neighbor dogs
    Got A LOT of goats from 2003 and on, but also sold a lot of goats...
    Jan. 2009: three registered nigerian does

I am now at about 40+ registered nigerians, 6 unreg. nigerians, and 15 unregistered pygmies. This year we will be focussing on registered nigerians ONLY after everyone kids.

14. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    My first year I bought one goat, a nubian wether, as a pet and to keep my lonely cow company. B-i-l thought he'd also like goats and without doing any research or having any way to contain them bought two young does, within a month those were mine. So now I had three, and w/ two does, I just had to have some babies! Wanted to breed them to a nubian, couldn't find one, considered a boer, couldn't find one, finally bought a LaMancha buckling. S-i-l (who lives in town, called and said she had a stray goat in her yard could I take it? It was a young red boer mix doe (which turned out to be bred). So now 5! Come out one day to a strange truck near my goat pen, go to investigate, it's my b-i-l and another guy and they just put a goat in w/ my goats, apparently he was told he could have it or it was going to be dinner, another doe! So my first year I ended up w/ 6, and only bought two, both males! Boy they multiply fast, thought I was safe buying a wether, guess not!

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you all for sharing! It's so much fun to hear about your "Goat Math." :greengrin: :thumbup:

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    hmm..
    06 bought 4 bred does=11 kids
    07 3 bred does=12 kids
    08 5 bred does=13 kids
    last year two FF's didnt settle including my Gr Ch of 07 :GAAH:
    stay tuned for further updates as soon as a few days from now :stars: