The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four Goats. That's our limit. Just four.

Except we have 4 now. And there's a buck coming soon. Though he'll only be here for a month or so. AND my 20 year-old was just offered a show quality yearling LaMancha doe; FREE. a LaMancha that will be covered by a fabulous Nigerian buck. FREE

And my daughter ADORES LaManchas...

Updates will be coming soon...

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts

Except we have 4 now. And there's a buck coming soon. Though he'll only be here for a month or so. AND my 20 year-old was just offered a show quality yearling LaMancha doe; FREE. a LaMancha that will be covered by a fabulous Nigerian buck. FREE

And my daughter ADORES LaManchas...

Updates will be coming soon...
Soooooo at this point what i am hearin is this.... you have four goats.... and your goats are gonna be havin goats...

·
Registered
556 Posts

So you have four. The buck is coming but he's not staying with you, so you still have four. If you get the La Mancha, you'll have five, but that rounds down to four. And any babies that the buck's visit produces don't count towards your total, because they're small so they don't count as entire goats. I don't see your problem...? :p

My limit is ten, and right now I have about eighteen. (My limit was set by my parents, on whose property my goats and I live.) Last year when I was selling spring kids, they kept asking me why I was selling Kid A or why I wasn't keeping kids out of Doe B. I told them that per our agreement, I was trying to keep my numbers down. They say "What's one more?" So clearly I can't really be blamed for all these goats :p

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I remember that hen I first learned about goat math. My second year in goats I had 50 does. It was a little over whelming at the time because I went from 25 to 50 in one shopping trip. Then I bred them and didn’t really think much of it. My dad said “wow you sure have a lot of goats” my mom then said “yeah and in a few months she will have 150”. I never really thought of how many I would actually have on my hands when I bred them and that was a smack of reality lol
But I also had to sit down and give myself a limit. It’s 70. If I want to keep one I sell one. Same as Calistar, some people are baffled that I’m selling a certain kid but it’s either that or sell one of my mature does. Last year I did cut down to 45 because I needed hay money to turn into truck payments but I’m still leaving my limit at 70 lol

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you have four. The buck is coming but he's not staying with you, so you still have four. If you get the La Mancha, you'll have five, but that rounds down to four. And any babies that the buck's visit produces don't count towards your total, because they're small so they don't count as entire goats. I don't see your problem...? :p

My limit is ten, and right now I have about eighteen. (My limit was set by my parents, on whose property my goats and I live.) Last year when I was selling spring kids, they kept asking me why I was selling Kid A or why I wasn't keeping kids out of Doe B. I told them that per our agreement, I was trying to keep my numbers down. They say "What's one more?" So clearly I can't really be blamed for all these goats :p
You just made me laugh SO HARD!!!!!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Annnnnnnnnnnd.....This news just in: We ARE getting the LaMancha!!! Even my hubby agreed. Whaaaa?

My daughter is over the moon and I'm pretty darned tickled too!!!!! We'll be picking her up as soon as she's bred. You can bet I'll post lotsa pictures then!

·
Registered
582 Posts
aaaaahhhhhhh ... the innocent 4's .... now them there was the days ... LOL.

Caprines of course take a tangent approach to such things as math, rules, fences and limitations in general.

Now of course I can't walk through the paddock without being bodily assaulted by dozens of loving caprines who smooch like cats!

We got rid of our last cows to make room for them though ... don't overgraze your land:)

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We're finding out more now: Her name is Jasmine - awkward, because we already have a Jasmine, but I'm sure we'll think of a suitable barn name! She is black with white "points" (whatever that means...). She's from excellent dairy lines.

More soon...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts