Goat milk cheese cultures...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MiGoat, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I'm probably in the wrong spot with this thread but I wondered what vendor had the best price for rennet, wax and cultures.

Also if you were going to buy some basic cultures what would they be? Like 2 or 3 of them to make hard cheese. Maybe a sharp cheddar and say a swiss or something.

I want to be able to use them again and again so I probably want the mother culture type cultures.

I can't find rennet (except veg.) at the health food store. And no cheese wax. So since I need to order online I wondered where the best price is to be found.
    I like New England Cheese company and Dairy connection websites but can't quite figure out what is the best price and what to order...it's all greek to me!'
    LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Or would it really be best to go with direct set cultures? I really wanted to not have to buy any more cultures though.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The best price and quality that I've found is the Dairy Connection: http://www.dairyconnection.com They are very helpful too :)

I can't think of any cheese cultures that use mother cultures, I always thought that applied to yogurt and kefir.

4. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Thanks for the input Goathappy. I appreciate it a lot.
    I wish you lived down the road!

5. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    If you buy a mesophilic culture (used in things like Feta and Cheddar) you can keep it as a mother. Basically you make a whole quart and then freeze some in an ice cube tray. Use an ice cube to make a new quart each time and repeat. You should be able to keep the mesophilic alive this way for a while.

Other cheese cultures - like things for fromage blanc etc. tend to be one use only.