The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it would depend on the area you live in and such, but anyone have any ballpark idea on what the going rate might be for goat milk for LIVESTOCK consumption? I have more milk than I can use or sell right now and don't want to chuck it. Obviously it would be quite a bit less than for human consumption. Anyone have any experience with this? Just trying to figure out what a farmer might pay for a gallon of milk.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
We sell our gallons for $5 here, as milk replacer and such. People LOVE it, and they are willing to pay it to get such a great product to raise their orphan animals on.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Well the people on Craigslist are selling goat and cow milk for Livestock use at a whopping $10 per gallon! Wayyyyy to much $$$, you can buy organic in the store for less. But maybe $3 a gallon? I have no idea, I never sell any milk.....

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Around me it is about $8 per gallon right now.....kinda makes me want to get a dairy goat

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Check to make sure it is legal where you live, the laws vary a lot by state. Here we can't sell it for animal consumption, it can only be sold through herd shares. Some places you can't sell it all.

I've had people offer me $6 a gallon for it, though. If that helps any. I don't sell it because the legality of it here has been iffy for a long time and it makes me paranoid, but it is just something to think about before you advertise.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I've seen it anywhere from 3.00 a Qt to 15.00 a gallon!
:eek:
$15 a gallon! Holy cow!
With my milking cows, I'd break even if I were to sell it at $1.60 per gallon.
But I give all the excess to pigs, and bottle animals, because....I mean.... who can use over 1500 gallons a month???..... :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts