Goat milk help?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by bree00, Feb 15, 2010.

1. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    I am wanting to start milking my goats for goat products and, i was wondering if you drink the milk raw? or do you pasturize? Is it possible to make low-fat goat products? :)

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I always drink mine raw.

You can make lowfat goat milk products if you have a cream separator but without one it is tough.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't pastuerize here either, raw has much better flavor and IMO, better for you.

And like FRF said, sionce goats milk is naturally homogenized, a cream separator is needed to separate the "fat" or cream from the liquid. Skimming is possible but the amount you get is minimal.

4. ecologystudent

ecologystudent New Member

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    I drink it raw- my animals are clean and healthy, so I don't see why I should bother with pasteurization. As for low fat, well, unless you get a cream separator I really don't see it happening. I suppose you could select one of the breads that don't produce as much butterfat, for example, saanens, as apposed to other breeds, like nubians and nigerians. But even then, it's not like skim milk or what ever.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    raw is best.. and its not bad fat for you, so i dont see why it would need to be lowfat and its pretty near impossible to do it without a seperator,

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    ditto on what sarah said, fat from goat milk is not bad fat, the fat globules are smaller in goat milk and therefore more easily digested and processed into energy which the body will use. Cows milk has large fat globules which are hard to digest and the body stores it as fat.

and we drink it raw :)

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Raw and full fat all the way. I love how soft my skin is when I drink lots of raw goat milk.

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I know a couple people who have used cream separators, they have all done it to get the cream. Universally they have said the milk is less than wonderful and no one wants it. Some of them have gotten rid of the cream separators. Of course we are mostly very spoiled by our wonderful milk. At least try using the wonderful whole raw milk before you spend the money for a separator. They are pretty pricey. I bought one and passed it along for a great price without ever using it because it was so intimidating and I didn't have enough milk for it to be worth the trouble. It doesn't turn into fat in your veins (arteries?) like homogenized milk does. Homogenizing turns milk into toxic waste.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I used to drink mine raw, but when i made cheese i pasturized, it had better flavor then cheese made with raw milk.
    beth

10. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    I drink it raw, but its up to you.

11. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Bree00 just wanted to say my name is Bree and you joined on my birthday, wierd