Goat Milk - is it safe for Lactose Intolerant?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Karen, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Karen

Karen Active Member

I did a search of the forums here and didn't see this answer anywhere. Does anyone have any actual experience with a lactose intolerant person being able to consume goat milk or goat cheese without issue?

I know intolerances vary person to person, but know one child at my church was recently diagnosed, and an adult friend who has become lactose intolerant (which he says is no surprise, considering his ancestry is from southern India, where many consider cows sacred).

So rather than relying on random webpages that often have agendas behind them, I thought I would ask actual goat owners!

2. melbah1

melbah1 Member

Since I sell milk I have had several people try goat milk that react to cow's milk. What I have seen is that it works for some and not for others. My understanding is that goat milk has less lactose and what it has is easier to digest than cows (closer to human milk). Some people can't handle any lactose and some do great on goat milk but not cow milk. Usually people try it and see how they do on it.

3. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Yes, we had a Finnish pastor over for supper one evening, and he made as though he wasn't going to take any waffles or drink any milk saying he couldn't handle dairy. We told him it was goat's milk and he said that he was able to handle that and was able to eat a nice supper!

I can't handle either cow's or goat's milk so it depends on the person.

4. AncientBlue

AncientBlue Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Central Florida
    Goat's milk is 10 times as digestable as cow's milk, so many that have a reaction to cow's milk are able to digest goat's milk. Of course it will vary person to person.

5. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    No. Quite a few times I've had people comment that they can only drink goat's milk because they're "lactose intolerant". Upon further discussion it always turns out that they're self-diagnosed. They think because cow milk makes them burpy they must be lactose intolerant. I tell these people that they're cow's milk intolerant, not lactose intolerant.
    Lactose intolerance is a real thing, only diagnosable by a doctor. Lactose is milk sugar and all mammalian milk contains lactose. Human, cow, goat, shrew it doesn't matter. The likely culprit in these cases isn't lactose at all; it's BUTTERFAT. While goat and cow milk are roughly comparable in their fat percentages, depending on breed, the fat molecules in goat milk are much smaller than the fat molecules in cow's milk. These tiny molecules are more easily digestible than comparable fat molecules in cow's milk.
    Some people can't drink cow's milk but can drink goat's. They're not lactose intolerant. Truly lactose intolerant people can't drink milk or eat soft cheese at all.

6. valleyhavengoats

valleyhavengoats New Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I am diagnosed by a doctor lactose intolerant. And you can still eat and drink dairy. You just have to watch the amounts. I have not tried goats milk or cheese but was told by my doctor that yes it has lactose in it, but goats milk is digested easier than cows milk making it easier for your body to handle the lactose. I have mild intolerance so I have been able to build up the amount of dairy I can consume.

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    My friend who gets bad cramps and diarrhea from cow milk visits and drinks all the goat milk she likes! She loves it here

8. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I'm lactose intolerant diagnosed by a DR, and I can drink goats milk just fine, but not cows milk, thus I got goats to milk

9. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I wish i could drink my goats milk.....i try to tell myself its cows milk but i can't seem to get the glass up to my mouth without gagging :blue:
    I don't know why i can't , i just can't :brickwall:

10. AncientBlue

AncientBlue Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Central Florida
    Trickyroo, ick factor? My daughter is like that. It doesn't bother me in the least. Our goats make the best milk.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Cows milk has very large fat globules. When they homogenize it, they actually blast the fat globs apart to make it more easy to digest. However, when they do the blasting, a chemical is released. That is what bothers people. Goat milk has smaller fat globules and is more easily digested.

Many people can drink clean, fresh goat milk without as much digestive discomfort as they would get from cows milk. If someone is truly lactose intolerant, they should try a small amount of goat milk and take it from there.

I do know this: my grandson suffers from asthma. Since he has been drinking only goat milk, he has not had an attack- he still takes his meds, will do his machine when he feels wheezy, but has not had an attack. He was at his other grandmothers for 2 weeks last summer, drank grocery store cow milk for almost the whole period and ended up in the ER having trouble breathing. (He is 11). I can't say goat milk cures asthma, but it seems to make him less likely to have a true attack. (Only my opinion). (and his other grandma is a city person, without enough sense to pour rain out of her boot, so, she may not have sure he took his meds).

Anyway, I think goat milk might be better than cow milk for sensitive people.

12. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I so want to drink my LaMancha's milk:( Im going to try again , but i know i will lose it . When people ask me if i drink the milk , i feel like a idiot when i say no , lol. Then they ask , why do you have goats and milk them ? :scratch: Thats when it hit me....:shrug: i couldnt answer them , lol.. :slap floor: :D

13. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire

Hahah!! Glad I'm not alone here! I don't like milk at all, and the goat milk, I think, has a slight aftertaste, and I can't do that lol! So I don't drink it..
    And I get those same questions! I love goat meat and have even been asked a few times why I don't switch from dairy to meat :lol: I love my dairy girls though :D

14. Karen

Karen Active Member

My friend has been having no issue whatsoever with goat milk cheese, and wants to express his gratitude to all you dairy goats out there. He only became lactose intolerant in his mid-thirties, and loves cheese so much he would have some anyway, and then pay the price. But all you little goats out there, your efforts are much appreciated!

15. Karen

Karen Active Member

New question for the lactose-intolerant amongst us - is there a good "pizza cheese" equivalent in goat cheese? I just found a "goat cheddar," so we'll see what that tastes like!

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mozzarella cheese

17. Karen

Karen Active Member

Does anyone make mozzarella from goat milk?

18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..its wonderful...and easy to do. Google 30 minute mozzarella. ..you will love it!

19. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    I've made mozzarella from goats milk, it is super Delicious!! :)