Goat milk recipes

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jan 12, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Yes I know, ANOTHER goat milk recipe thread... and I know everyone has a goat icecream recipe... and a goat cheese recipe... and a goats' milk yoghurt recipe (which we tried but it didnt set)

but is there anything ELSE I can do with this milk? Something that people who dont like the taste of goats milk would like?

LW

2. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    If your yogurt didn't set then you probably didn't keep it warm enough for the whole 8 to 10 hours that it takes to culture.

You could use your milk to make soap, if you have access to lye there without going through a ton of government regulations.

I have found that chocolate pudding uses up milk and covers the taste enough for those who don't like the flavor of goat milk.

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    can you use a cows' milk starter to make goat yoghurt? Or do you have to use a special one? For the cows' milk yoghurt that we make every week we buy a live plain yoghurt from the store.

LW

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, you can use the plain cultured yogurt from the store....though the first time ever that I tried to make yogurt, it didn't set for me either.

The chocolate pudding that was suggested is a great mask forusing goat milk....as well as any other pudding flavors.

Alfredo sauce for pasta is another, the garlic and parmesan cheese alone is a "mask" though I do find that the goat milk makes a richer sauce.

Basically anything that would have a milk base you can use goat milk for, believe it or not but when adding other ingredients you don't get the "cooked goat milk" flavor like you do when pastuerizing.

My DH loves chocolate milk as well as milkshakes.....no "goat" flavor there!

5. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    If you have other farm animals, you can curdle it for the chickens. I also pour a little over the dog's food. :roll:

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    oh man .. the other day i made goat milk gelato... mmm

delish!

i can get the recipe to anyone who wants it

7. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Make sure the yogurt you use for culture has the live cultures in it or it won't work. Also it's best to use yogurt that doesn't have thickeners in it. As far as I'm concerned that isn't really yogurt, it's yogurt flavored gelatin! And it won't make your yogurt thicken up either because gelatin doesn't "grow" the way the yogurt culture does.