goat milk soap recipes? anybody have a favorite

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by luvbug*diapers, May 24, 2010.

1. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    Im just starting out with making cold process soap with my goat milk.

Ive tried 3 with 1 possable falure.we'll see if it will ever get hard!!!!! :GAAH:

so i was wondering if anybody has one that is their favorite that would be hard for me to screw up.

link to one would be great or if you feel like you want to write it out
    either way Id be thrilled to get some. :leap: :clap: :stars: :wahoo:

thank you
    renee

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a super simple recipe on my website...courtesy of K-Ro

Works every time for me.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Here's what I always do for my milk soap:

8 1/2 oz. olive oil
    10 oz. coconut oil
    24 oz. vegetable shortening
    6 oz. lye
    24 oz. chilled goat milk
    2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of fragrance or essential oil

Melt the oils together and cool to 110*F
    Add milk to the lye slowly and stir well--cool to about 100*F

When the oils are 110* and the milk/lye is 100* slowly pour the milk/lye into the oils and stir...and stir some more...and keep stiring. I actually alternate between hand stiring and using a blender for 20-30 min. It takes this recipe a while to get a good trace because it has a lot of liquid in it. At light trace I stir in the fragrance or essential oil and stir for a few more minutes then pour into molds. and cover with saran wrap. I do not insulate the molds with this recipe. After about 12-18 hours I put the mold in the freezer for about 1 hr because it makes it easier to get out of the mold and then I take it out of the mold to dry.

4. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    oh thank you i love how much milk is in here.
    i must gather supplies tomorrow.

also do you always weigh the oils?
    i was confussed by the oils if it was fluid oz or the weight of the oils .
    just checking thinking maybe that could be part of my problem.

5. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    love the simplicity of it,even one i believe I could follow.
    Just what i needed.
    peeked up on your site and well i must say im going to be tring that killer sounding fudge recipe.

thank you
    renee

6. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yes, all of the measurements are by weight--the oils, the milk, and the lye are all weighed. I have a vintage kitchen scale that I use but it is easier to get acurate measurments on the digital ones.

7. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I should mention that I use small individual molds (3-7 oz). If you use one large mold you will need wait longer to take out the block of soap

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Where do you get the lye at? Also do you heat the milk and lye? If the milk is chilled and you add the lye, does the lye bring up the temp to 100? I can't wait to do this. I need a nubian doe ASAP! :laugh:

Gina

9. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You can get lye at some hardware stores in the cleaning or plumbing sections...make sure it is 100% lye (sodium hydroxide). Around here most stores have stopped carrying it because people use it to make meth, I guess...the only place that still has it is Menards (not sure if you have those in your area). If you can't find it locally you will have to order it online.

When you add milk to the lye it causes a chemical reaction that makes the mixture VERY hot. I always use very cold milk to start with so the lye does not totally scorch it. The milk will turn to a tan/orange color...If you start with frozen milk the milk will stay more of a cream color. I usually set the lye/milk container into a sink full of icewater so it takes less time to cool.

Please use caution when handling lye...be extremely carefull not to splash when you are stirring and pouring. I recommend wearing dish gloves while making soap because if it gets on your skin it will sting!