Goat milk soap

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Oliveoil, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I'm looking to start making goat milk soap with my milk. What kind of supplies do you need? Any good recipes or tips and tricks are welcome!

2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    There’s a lot you’ll need! Goat milk only makes up a small fraction of the recipe. I recommend checking out websites such as BrambleBerry to maybe buy a kit or look at goat milk recipes. There are so many great resources online. I personally love the site Modern Soapmaking.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    my recipe is 38% olive oil, 30% coconut oil, and 33% lard.

Then in my lye milk solution, I use 68% milk and 32% lye

Please don't just jump into it! Do a lot of research, because it can potentially be dangerous! Sign up for Soap making Forum! They are awesome! I just signed up there!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    I've been making goat's milk, lye soap for 5 years. There is a lot to it but it is so much fun! BE CAREFUL with the lye. Brambleberry is awesome! Here is my recipe but this is for a 6 lb batch, which makes 22 large bars. Divide by 6 to get a 1 lb batch. That is what I would start with.
    One very, very important thing is that you NEVER pour your oil into your lye water. Always pour your lye water into your oils. If done incorrectly, it can boil over, causing real problems.

84 grams Bees Wax
    (white or light yellow, as the color can affect your final color)
    1020 grams of lard (I actually use donut grease because I can buy it in a 50lb box)
    849 grams coconut oil (melted, but be careful of temps)
    756 grams Olive Oil
    (On stove) I use stock pots
    I make my Lye water first.....
    384 grams of lye
    500 ML water
    50 ML Goats Milk
    I also add about 40 ice cubes to off set the heat of the lye. If your lye water is too hot, it will scorch your goats milk.
    Your liquid can be any amounts of water/milk. Research what you want.

Melt bees wax (careful it can scorch)
    Add lard, when it is almost melted, add melted coconut oil. Try to keep your temp about 115 f.
    Your lye water and your oils should be within 5 degrees of each temp wise.
    Prior to mixing your oil and water, you are not on a time clock. You haven't made soap yet. Once you pour your lye water into your oils, even if you don't mix them, you have soap that will harden in a matter of minutes.
    I use a stick blender to blend my soap.
    I have learned a few tricks. If you are using Essential oils just know that lye soap hits a gel phase of about 240 degrees and Essential Oils usually evaporate at about 115*.
    I use Brambleberry fragrances and Brambleberry mica (powder) colorant.
    Start with making natural colored soap and work into one solid color, then you can learn how to make multi colored soaps.
    After you pour your lye water into your oils, use your stick blender to blend the mixture. You are looking for a light trace. (Trace is basically when the mixture sits on top of itself without blending back into itself). When you have a light trace, I add my fragrance, then my colorant. Your soap will start to have a heavy trace within minutes, depending on varying factors. I started with just one lb of unscented, natural colored soap! Good luck! Ask any questions you might have!

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have had very bad luck with BB lately. As have others! The package I bought took 20 business days to ship, and when it came, my preservative had spilled EVERYWHERE! I was not very happy! The preservative is NOT cheap!
    I LOVE nurture soap!

6. I make goat milk soap with only milk and no water. My milk is frozen into ice cubes and I add the lye to that. It doesn't burn the milk that way. But as said above - research the recipes and probably recheck any recipe on one of the lye calculators on line. I have also found that you can usually save a batch that don't work well. I have rebatched several soaps that seized on me by grating (after they set up) and melting with a small amount of water. Research - research. and have fun.

7. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas

I have had some issues with BB over the last 5 years but their Customer Service has always made up for problems by sending me replacements along with little gifts for the inconvenience. I haven't experienced bad customer service with BB.

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    LOL! they must like you then, because I emailed them about my spilled preservative about 2 months ago, and they still haven't replied!

9. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Hmmmmm....well, I called and spoke to someone so maybe that is the difference? I use to use Bulk Apothecary but the quality went down hill so I went back to BB but they are pricey. I sell my soaps locally so I don't mind the price if the quality is good.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  10. Cwen

Cwen New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Just going to chime in and say Goats Milk soap is some of the best. I recently (about 2+ years) got introduced to it, and splurged on an assortment from the Surfing Goat Dairy in Maui. Their Plum and Plumeria soap is actual bars of heaven.
    I've now found a local fellow who makes goat soap and sells at the farmers market, but his scents are a little more subdued. The granulated oatmeal is a good addition though, helps scrub sunscreen and pasture grit really nicely. Good luck on your soap making adventure!