Goat Milking Log and Birth Chart?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by MellonFriend, Jan 7, 2021.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some sort of milking log for keeping my milking records as well as a birth record chart. What do you guys use? I'm looking for either something I could purchase, print, or even just what columns and rows of information you find useful.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I don’t keep records :hide:
    But I found this for you in the book Storey’s Guide to Raising Dairy Goats.

MellonFriend likes this.

3. wheel-bear-o

wheel-bear-o Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Vermont
    I use Google Sheets for my "dairy diary," as we call it. Each doe has her own page in the spreadsheet. Each day I record the morning and evening milking weight in grams and calculate the daily total. I also have additional columns for milking notes and medical notes where I log when does received meds, when they are in heat, etc. Google Sheets is honestly terrific because everyone on the farm can access it easily from their phone to log milk totals, it can't be easily destroyed or lost like paper barn records, and I can also use it to make graphs and charts so I can watch each doe's production and see if anyone's graph is trending in a weird direction (which can indicate parasites, illness, etc). I like feeling like I can process my data any way I need, access it easily from anywhere, and don't have to keep track of anything physical. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Plus it's free!

For births and breeding, this season I'm about to start using an app called Goat Book. It was developed specifically for this purpose. I don't have any experience with it yet, but I'm really excited to use it.

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  4. MellonFriend

I'm not seeing your link, but I actually have that book so I'll look in it. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  5. MellonFriend

I've never heard of google sheets, I'll have to check that out!

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.