The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a question about our goats and what minerals they should have. We have a small herd of fainting goats and have four pregnant does due at the end of April and some due in late July. I've read some articles and threads here on minerals, but still have some questions. We went to the local TSC this last weekend and bought a bag of Manna Pro Goat Minerals. I have always used mineral blocks that were called Billy Blocks and I read about how to read labels and here there is 98% salt :/ We have been feeding them that for the last few years. I never really noticed any problems with the health of our goats, but it wouldn't hurt them to give them loose minerals right?
Can you give too much mineral and can that cause problems with the goats? I thought I read somewhere that too much selenium can be a problem. Also for the pregnant does do I have to worry if they eat too much of it will it cause the kids to be too big or have problems with birthing? This would be my first year feeding loose minerals.

Also we always give them alfalfa cubes found at TSC and I know they could have a problem chewing them but I make sure the cubes are small enough for them. How much of those should I give my pregnant does and starting when in the pregnancy?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
The amount of selenium in the mineral won't cause any issues....it's when you are giving the BoSe on a regular basis if you don't need it that might cause issues (or if you live in a selenium RICH area...and there are a few) It shouldn't hurt your does at all...they may eat a lot at once or none. I noticed that too about the salt and so I just bought a regular range mineral for cows cause it was a lot cheaper and just about the same composition wise.

Depending on your goats you may or may not need to break up the cubes. I had some that absolutely LOVED the things and would happily munch them and others that wouldn't touch them no matter what I did. Always start slowly with any new feed. And I would start now. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend...you can slowly work them up to having them free choice if they don't waste too much of it.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
The billy block is more like candy. The calcium to phosphorus is not right. Also the iron is way higher than copper so any copper will not be absorbed. There is almost no copper and selenium in it.

Put out the Manna Pro free choice. They will probably gobble it up. Don't be surprised if they do this for a while. There are other good choices out there too like Sweetlix Meatmaker 16:8 and Cargill Right Now Onyx Cattle Mineral plus others. But Manna Pro is a good choice too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts