The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love hearing what people have named their goats, and the stories behind the names. I'm compiling a list for the next issue of Goat Tracks (and future issues), and would love to include yours! Please just send me an email if you'd like to be included.

Thanks!
Shannon
Proud spoiler of Tuffy (aka Master Tuff, Tuff Master, Tuff Stuff), Wally, Homer (aka Homer J), Jake, Sammy (aka Sammy-kins), Sosa, Glacier, Hogan, Elvis, Kitt, and Olaf

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have 5 goats at our farm now, as we moved our boys from the larger ranch were they were with 19 goats and a bull.

We have 4 Alpine weathers named

"Black"
"Decker"
"Earl"
"Ernest"

and a Boer meat goat named "Christmas" after the holiday he will be eaten. :eek:

·
Banned
849 Posts
Cuzco was named after the insufferably arrogant and self-absorbed character in the Disney movie, The Emperor's New Groove, who gets turned into a llama. Yeah, we know our goat isn't a llama, but somehow the aloof, "Everyone look at me, I'm so awesome" attitude seemed to fit perfectly. :cool:

We plan to name future goats after the Biblical patriarchs and prophets: Abraham, Moses, Ezekiel, Isaiah, etc. I think it must be the beards, but goats just look like Old Testament fathers to me. :D

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
My one year old obers were named after our trucks. FJ "Cruiser" and Inernational "Scout". Ford "Ranger" was given away to my friend. He was not to keen on climbing hills. I have the "Hobbs" half of Calvin and Hobbs. My next boy will be Chevy "Blazer".
IdanoNancy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cabra is named "cabra" because I board my horses on a hispanic ranch, and he was a gift from the owner (who didn't have the heart to butcher him). It seemed apropos, after listening to the kids (human) shouting at him. He had learned already that "Cabra" meant, if not all goats, himself.

Now I honestly think he's renamed himself "Veng'aqui" as in "Veng'aqui! Pronto!"

So he's "Cabra" when I talk ABOUT him, but "Venga" when I'm talking TO him. :D

As long as he doesn't learn any worse names....

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have alot of names, for alot of goats!!

alot of my miniature dairy goats are named after oldies songs and beatles. though i do have one doe named surfbird, she's got markings just like one! nicknames include momma bird, bird, b-b-b-bird..

my lamancha's follow family lines.. kaboodle made kabooki, coffe swirl made demitasse ( all cream with a splash of coffee.. very fitting)

my packer in training is named Guido. I love spanish and italian names.. guido just fit him.. my dad calls him guido the killa pimp, my sister call him burrito. dont know why...

my boers and boer crosses are named after rocks and minerals.. i.e jasper, gypsum, agate

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have Zeus, who is a 230 lb, 7 yo saanen wether and leader of the pack. The name derivation is obvious. Steady, wise, good mind. Also, beautiful.

I have Licorice and Latigo, 6 yo 230 lb oberhasli twins, who were named by a previous goatpacker/owner. Licorice is jet black and Latigo is light brown and black like a saddle latigo.

I have Tank, a 7 month old lamancha who is already 28 inches at the withers and nearly 100 lbs. The name derivation is also obvious.

I have Castor and Pollux, the evil yearling oberhasli twins. They are a goat unit rather than two separate goats, hence the names.

I have a Butterscotch, who is a yearling plus alpine and his color is guess what? butterscotch!!!! He is also a sweetie!!!

I have an alpine, lamancha, saanen cross who is named Capricorn. Don't laugh at the originality!!! :lol:

There's also Larry the nubian, who was named when he came to my farm and St.Elmo, the newest addition at just 2 months.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
One of my original goats was named PacMan because when he was a little kid, he would pick up stuff and cary it around when we left things within reach in the barn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two Nigerian Dwarfs, Miss Kitty and Chester, goes with mini donkey's Festus,Dillon and Newly all of gunsmoke. Then I have 2 Nubian kids, one is Oliver and the doe is Lisa. Gunsmoke did not have any other woman, so we named the kids after the Green Acres TV show, their last names was Douglas, as is ours. :lol:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Let's see

there's

Oliver Twist - because he came to us as scrawny and neglected as this famous orphan

Lucky - his son, because he was born in a late snowstorm and barely survived hypothermia

Muffin - because he has black spots like chocolate chips

Jason

Brownie - the name stating the obvious

Nox - he wanted to be called like that

Teila and Ronon - curtesy to Stargate Atlantis

David, Lana and Rafi - triplets

Donald and Harvey - twins. I had to really struggle to give them "proper" names because they where a bit "slow" after their birth and we had the strong urge to call them Laurel and Hardy first

Freddie, Nero, MonaLisa, Amanda, Kassandra, Cisco (spelled that wrong, meant the "Sisko" from Deep Space Nine), Lukas (came with that name), Nellie

·
Registered
98 Posts
What a great thread. I'll add my goatsies in too. Though none are too original.

Jack, a black and white LaMancha wether aka Jackie, Jackie Boy, and Jack *ss. He is my biggest troublemaker and also my best packgoat... go figure. LOL

Goober, a black and tan LaMancha wether aka Gooby, Reggie, registered name Ondave's Reggie. The sweetest, goofiest, most huggable goat I've ever seen.

Sugar, a white Saanen doe aka Shoogie, Shoogie Shoog, Pretty Girl. She's a wonderful family milker that never has to be tied at milking time. She just stands there and chews her cud till you tell her "All done".

Dizzy Izzy, a Toggenburg doe who's name has now been shortened to Izzy. When we got her she was terrified of people, snorted like a deer and ran if you looked at her. Now she is an "in your pocket" goat.

Buttons, a solid black LaMancha doe. Her registered name is PC's Delilah but for some reason I always want to call her Belle. So may be changing her name to that so it doesn't sound like I have CRS. lol

Andy, a black Fainter wether. He was originally part of a pair... Amos and Andy but Amos went to a new home as he didn't fit in here.

Popcorn, a white Saanen/Fainter cross doeling. When she was a baby she popped around like popcorn thus the name. Extemely sure-footed, she can walk the one inch ledge on her playhouse repeatedly without slipping and can walk her entire pen on her back legs only.

Sneakers, a chocolate colored Saanen/Fainter cross wether. As a baby he was into everything he shouldn't have been and could sneak past the most watchful of eyes to get there.

And last but not least, Toby short for Tobiah, our LaMancha/Nubian cross buck. He's solid black on one side with three perfectly round spots on the other (2 white, 1 tan).

·
Registered
742 Posts
HI! My family raised dairy goats for almost 9 yrs so there is plenty of odd names.
stinky- when we brought her home she had to sit on the floor at my little sisters feet and
she got carsickness in the form of gas
pippi- she was a boer who had very thick fur and 4 teats though I dont know the story
behind the name
vince-a-rella- she was born on my dad, vince's, birthday
noel- she was born on x-mas eve
skidmark- he was white with black and brown down his back and dad said he looked like a
"skidmark" from kids undies
peek-a-boo- I dont remember that story either

those are my favorites.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some of our goats came with names so we didn't get to name them.
For our own babies that we raise, I was going to name them all mountain names to go with our herd/ranch name, Mountain View Pack Goats, but most of them didn't seem to fit the goat, LOL! It was a good thought though. Here are our names:
Logan (sort of named from his dad, Loki)
Casper the Friendly goat (white goat)
Dixie (just because it seemed to fit her)
Mica (just seemed to fit him)
Serena (Daughter is into the Sailor moon animae (sp?)
Luna (another name from Sailor moon)
Elizabeth Swan (Son is into pirates, he named this goat)
Tink (Daughter was/is into Tinkerbell
La Linda (came with that name)
Amazing Grace (Gracie) (came with that name
Fawn (Tinks daughter so we stayed with fairy names)
Clairabelle (Kids named this goat after a friend, Claire)
Callisto (La Linda's daughter, just seemed to fit her)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know these names might sound corny but i was thinking of naming our goats yet to arrive (we are getting two baby alpine wethers in end of april or may 1st) after names of chocolate bars. Like twix, or reese, or hershey, ect. :roll: I'm not sure though, i guess i will just have to wait to see what these goats will actually be like. Nanno- I love your icon goat, I'm assuming he's cuzcu. He's so pretty :!: What breed is he? Also i too love the beards on goats because it makes them look ancient :p

·
299 Posts
I have four goats. I got them in pairs.

"Acorn and Birch" were ther first two. Named for their coloration. Acorn is a Brown and Black (Oberhasli), and Birch (Alpine) is mostly white with some black and tan like a white birch tree.

"Barley and Oats" were the next to join the herd. I just wanted to stick to the "things is nature" theme (I did not name them after the ingredients in beer) so they became Barley and Oats.

Acorn Birch Barley and Oats are unbeliveably fitting names for each.

Acorn is a small, quiet humble goat. If this little nut holds his ground, someday he will be Mighty like and oak tree.

Barley is my Cheif of Staff, like the grain he is named after he has many roles. He part of balanced breakfast, I couldn't start my day with out him. Like the beverage made from the fermented byproduct of Barley.... he helps me relax at night he after work.

Birch, like the tree is medium sized. His attitude is like the leaves of a birch tree. Sometimes smooth, sometimes jagged.

Oats, like the grains have a vigorous rate of growth. He is much larger then my other little ones. He takes over the pasture. His main concern is eating, eating, and more eating. He looks like he is named properly, Oats are in MANY things comsumable. My goat Oats, Will eat everything consumable.

·
Banned
849 Posts
Thanks 4-Hgoats! Yes, the icon picture is of Cuzco when he was about 6 months old. We also think he is gorgeous and we get comments from people about his lovely and unusual colors all the time. Even people who have bred goats their whole lives often exclaim that they've never seen a goat quite so remarkably colored as Cuzco, which makes us positively blush with pride. :mrgreen:

Cuzco's mother was a buckskin-colored Alpine who was light in the front but had black points and entirely black rear quarters (I believe they call this "cou clair"?). According to the breeder, Cuzco's father was a Nubian buck that belonged to one of her neighbors (we never saw him). Cuzco had a twin sister who had similar face markings and the same brown and black pattern as Cuzco, but who did not have the splashy white spotting over the sides and legs. We got lucky. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.