Goat noise & age

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Terri Hughes, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Terri Hughes

Terri Hughes New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Arkansas
    Hi everyone. I just recently had a complaint lodged by a neighbor because of a noisy goat (Nigerian Dwarf). I have a feeling he might have been noisier than most for some reason. My other goat was fairly quiet 98% of the time, but Copper would cry for sometimes 2 hours straight in the evening, somewhere between 5-8 pm. He wasn't in pain or any kind of distress, and he would quiet down completely when I finally came outside. I had him from 5 weeks of age, and I made sure not to go outside every time he cried, but if it went on for VERY long, I would go out because I do have neighbors, and if I was my neighbor I would be getting upset. So I completely understand the complaint. My question is, is it possible he cried so much because he was so young when I brought him home? I ended up selling them both yesterday (it broke my heart). The officer didn't expressly tell me I had to get rid of them, but of course I would have to control the noise. Which is pretty much impossible if there's no known reason for the crying. I'd really like to try the "goat thing" again at a later time, but I know there's no way to guarantee a goat won't be noisy. I'm wondering if the age of the goat matters much when bringing it home. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Some are just that way. He thought of you as his mother, and new you were close by. Some goats cry for their mom, others get used to having a goat buddy

Treva Brodt and Murphy’s Law like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

If he is alone, that is another reason why he would yell out. He needs a friend, a goat buddy.
    That should calm him down, if he is indeed alone. ;)

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    How sad that you had to sell him :(
    Yes, if he was alone, then that is why he was yelling

5. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I meant to say how sorry I am that you had to sell them. I don't have enough experience to answer your question about getting older goats making less noise.

Murphy’s Law likes this.
  6. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Im just surprised they even took a noise complaint for that early in the evening. I mean arty least in my area if it's before 10pm it had better be really really loud or they will basically just laugh at you and tell you to call back if it's still going on after 10

Treva Brodt, Dwarf Dad and Journey11 like this.
  7. Journey11

Journey11 New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    West Virginia
    I think it's just in their personality for some goats to be a little more vocal or needy with their person. I have one that hollers because she just wants me to bring her a cookie all the time. I'm sorry you had to sell them. Sounds like he had been your pet for a long time. That would be hard.

Treva Brodt likes this.
  8. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    Treva Brodt likes this.
  9. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    You can also try clicker training. In any case, goats can be raised.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I find that bottle kids are much noisier than dam raised kids - they come to demand attention from their humans. YES dam raised kids can be extremely friendly, and I find they are not as dependent upon their people when with a goat buddy

Treva Brodt and MistiRose like this.
  11. Terri Hughes

Terri Hughes New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Arkansas
    Thanks to everyone. To clarify, I had 2 goats, so he was not alone. I got them at the same time, from different owners, and I had them for about 5 months. They were completely silent when it got dark. Maybe I pulled the trigger and sold them too early? I just didn't want to feel the stress every time he cried for a lengthy period of time, wondering if my neighbors were getting annoyed. I may try it again later, but not getting a goat that is so young. The one I bought at 12 weeks of age was pretty quiet, so maybe that played a part. I miss them terribly.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  12. Terri Hughes

Terri Hughes New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Arkansas
    I fed them at the same time every day, usually at 6:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and they had hay available at all times. I'm not sure I'm understanding the sound-proofing concept. My goats were in our backyard surrounded by a wooden privacy fence.

13. Terri Hughes

Terri Hughes New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Arkansas
    I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I made the decision to sell them too early. Live and learn, I guess. I may try again later. I sure miss them.

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. Chris488

Chris488 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Upstate NY
    The other thing I was wondering is, what is the zoning for your area? If it's agricultural, I'm not entirely sure they could do much to you about noisy livestock.

Our goats can be pretty noisy, especially at feeding time and when they just want some more attention ( they're spoiled rotten ). One in particular screams more that bleats and it's definitely irritating sometimes. Some goats are just noisy.

Our new neighbor's dog tends to bark a lot, and one day while he was here looking at a welding job he said he hoped it didn't bug us too much ( it doesn't ). Of course the goats were in full "feed me" mode, so I just pointed and said, "Not if that doesn't bother you!" LOL

Treva Brodt and toth boer goats like this.
  15. Terri Hughes

Terri Hughes New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Arkansas
    I’m not exactly sure what we are zoned for, but I’m assuming it’s residential. We live in a subdivision. I did check with our mayor before purchasing the goats to make sure it wasn’t against code, and he said it was fine as long as no one complained. Although there is agriculture pretty much right behind us, as those neighbors have horses and chickens.

16. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm sorry you had to sell your goats. I think you may have jumped the gun and sold them too soon, but I think there is also a chance that one of your goats just had a noisy personality. He almost certainly would have grown out of it eventually, but sometimes that can take a year or so. My suggestion is to buy a pair of siblings or close friends from the same farm so they are used to being buddies with each other. It sounds like your loud goat was a lot more bonded to you than to his goat friend, and buying a pair that was raised together may solve that issue. I also agree that dam-raised kids are less prone to screaming for human attention. Just make sure if you buy dam-raised kids that they were properly socialized as babies so they aren't skittish of humans. Good luck!

Treva Brodt likes this.
  17. Chris488

Chris488 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Upstate NY
    And of course someone had to. That really stinks, sorry you had to get rid of your goats!

18. Terri Hughes

Terri Hughes New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Arkansas
    Thank you! I was thinking the same thing on all accounts. I found out the person who complained was 2 houses down and doesn’t have the nicest personality. So I’ll chalk this up to a learning experience and buy a couple more next spring. We’re getting a new neighbor in a month, and I want to see what kind of person she is before bringing home more goats.

Dwarf Dad and toth boer goats like this.
  19. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

I find that my animals that are used to being fed grain are much noisier than the ones that aren't. If you get another pair, maybe get ones that are old enough that they don't need grain/pelleted supplements, and have a hay-only diet. Might help. My first pair were wethers and got sweet feed twice a day (I didn't know better back then) and they got very noisy in the afternoon/evening.

Damfino likes this.
  20. Terri Hughes

Terri Hughes New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Arkansas
    GREAT idea! About how old would they be to not need the grain?