goat not acting well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gotgoats, Jun 15, 2009.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I have a 4 month old buckling, weaned from its mother now for 2 weeks. It never has acted as perky as my other bucklings born at the same time especially after moving him into the buck pasture.

This morning my dh went to feed, and the buck wouldn't get up to eat with the others. He placed a bowl of feed in front of him, and he ate some. He would get up and walk, but acts tired and would take a few steps and lay down. He sits with all 4 legs under him. Temp 103.1. He has no respiratory problems if anything a little slow, doesn't appear to have any lameness or injury, and doesn't appear bloated. His mouth is pale and so are his eyes. I wormed him 1 month ago, and he has had his CD/T vaccine and booster. All the other goats were wormed at the same time, and they are pink and healthy. He did have pink eye about a 2 weeks ago, but that has cleared. He has been dropping normal goat pills.

So, I gave him ivomec plus sq, nutridrench, and a shot of b vitamins. I would have gave an antibiotic but I have to go buy some tomorrow. Any suggestions what it could be or what I should do. I am worried about worm overload, but don't understand why just him and not the others. Thanks for your thoughts!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you wormed him for tape worms..such as using valbezen or something like that ....I know that ivomec plus.. kills other worms.. but not tapes....
    If you can get a fecal done... to see what the worm count and the cocci count...is...
    might not be a bad idea.... :hug:

I would give him some probiotic paste and baking soda... he may have a tummy ache ...... :hug:

keep us updated....I am praying for the little one.... :pray:

3. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I hadn't thought about trying baking soda. I leave it out for them, but it seems my bucks don't touch the stuff while my does love it. I had planned on getting up really early and following him around to catch some pills to take to the vet. I wormed him a month ago with Safeguard at 10mg/kg (1.1ml/25lbs). I will also do the probiotics in the am. Thanks

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Have you seen him pee?

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: .......some goats just don't touch some of the free choice stuff we have out for them ...that is when we can see trouble....it is wise to get a fecal done.....because of the way his gum/eye coloring is.....very smart... :hug: Let us know how it goes.... :hug:

this is an answer from another post of the dosage of safe gaurd I am assumimg it is horse wormer ...Is that correct?....this is what Stacey recommends.....
    here is where ..I got that from....above..
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5110&p=61209&hilit=safeguard+dose#p61209

6. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I checked him this morning...the same probably a little worse. Although he did move during the night, I found him laying down by the feed pan, and was licking the pan. Acts more tired. His respirations are more pronounced today. Temp 102.6. I have not been able to tell if he has peed. Waited 1/2 hr for poo, none. I gave him probiotics, nutridrench, baking soda this morning. He did accept about 1/2 cup feed and a few licks of water.
    I am going to the feed store for LA200 and some molasses. I want to get him to drink more water. Will try to get goat pills at next check for the vet.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would take him to a vet - he doesnt sound good at all

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    What are goat pills?
    You might also want to check if there's any crystalization around his tool just to be sure, but it sounds like it could be a worm problem.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Stacey... he sounds bad .....please keep us updated...

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Any change on him? Did you get him to the Vet? Please let us know.