The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I am new with goats. About 3 month ago we bought 2.5 years old goat. From beginning she was pretty skinny, but I been told that she is giving too much milk that's why she is skinny. She gives about 3 quarts a day. About 3 weeks ago I noticed she is not walking properly and she falls on her knees. I gave her lots of "Tums" tablets and "EM PACT" (Metabolic intermediate dietary supplement) for humans. She felt better was really active and happy. But last night she spitted out some vomit and having loose stool. Not eating. Please help ASAP. Thank you very much!!!

·
14,615 Posts
Has she been wormed lately, if so with what & the amount?
Is her temp normal?
A shot of B complex would help with appetite.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
What exactly are you feeding her? What is her temp? When was the last time you had a fecal done and/or wormed her?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am having her for 3 month and never wormed her yet I don't know how. I didn't know how to check her temp too. I am feeding her with fresh grass, oats, alfalfa feed, cracked corn and also she has a salt and minerals brick, and fresh water available all the time.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Worming depends on what worms she may have.

With stress cocci and worms can raise it's ugly head. Getting a fecal done will ensure what is wrong if anything there.
Getting skinny can be cause by worms and/or cocci.

Are you feeding a lot of each you described? If so, it can be from diet change as well.
Too much to fast can upset her rumen.

Large amounts of grain, can Do it as well, plus make their rumen sick.

As for temp 101.5 to 103.5 is normal. It is taken from the rectum, lube up the thermometer and slowly and gently insert. Do not force. The tip area is good enough, you do not have to insert all the way. Digital thermometers are easiest and fastest.

Block minerals aren't as good as loose salt and minerals.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I would start her on C D Antitoxin while she is runny...keeping her hydrated is important while she works through this..hay no grain until she firms up..

in the mean time I agree...get a temp on her..a cheap digital is great to use..just slip in it rectal..not deep..just a bit..use vaseline to help it slide easy..101.5-103.5 is normal range
scoop up fresh poop, even if you need to scrape it off her bum...take it to the vet and ask for fecal exam including cocci...once you know if there is a worm issue and what kind of worm we will know what wormer to use...
here is a good home made electrolyte recipe to try

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses (or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is doing better. She is walking and eating hay, but is not drinking well. I found out what exactly happened to her. She got in our garage and ate half a bag of corn! "Smart girl" So her stomach stopped probably. I am giving her ProBios to give her good bacteria in. Also gave her electrolytes in water and loose vitamins, but she is not interesting yet.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Probios is a good start....But she needs something to get rid of the toxins as well...If you dont have cd antitoxin dose her with Milk of Magnesia...it will help bind the toxins building in her gut....15 cc per 60#...B complex is helpful as well..it will keep some thiamine in her system while she mends...with her not eating well she cannot produce the Thiamine herself..this can cause polio...Try the home made electros in my last post..goats seem to love it...the more she drinks the more toxins she will flush...she needs to stay hydrated as well...offer hay and green leaves no feed until she is normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts