The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of suggestions on how to get a skinny nanny goat eat...has a weather in the pen next to her... Let out to graze during the day... Does not touch feed while locked up...

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
What kind of feed? Does she have any minerals? What kind of hay do you use? Have you had a fecal test done to include coccidia?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honor show chow... Let out on grass during the day... Has dyne every couple days... Does not act sick though... Still acts strong and energetic! Has not had test done...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
How long is out on grass? If 12 hours or so, she may not be hungry.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Has she been tested for Johnes, and have you sent in a fecal float? A fecal float will check for worms that a generic wormer may not have killed off.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Does she have free choice hay in her pen? loose mineral all the time.?.baking soda..?
maybe try adding a bit of calf manna, beet pulp and BOSS to her grain ration...she might like the smell and taste...
B complex helps both appitite and energy levels

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have an old doe that I am trying to get weight on too. I would pen her separately at night, so that she could eat all her food, instead of the other goats stealing it. She wouldn't touch it. I finally threw her in the pen with the others, and she walks over to their feed and starts shoving them out of the way! She gobbled down the feed once she got her head in the bucket. So, I found out that she eats great.....so long as she can fight for it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a doe that i got from a breeder who had raised her from a baby and i got her when she was about 4 years old. I would feed all of my goats and she would stand off to the side so i just thought maybe she dosent want to fight for it so i put her in a pen and tried to feed her by herself but she would eat a little then walk away i thought she was sick or something but the next day i tried to feed her again by herself but i had just poured out some feed for the chickens (dry pellets) and she left her feed ( dry pellets with some sweet feed mixed in) and went and tried to eat the chickens.
Found out she had been fed dry pellets all her life and didnt like sweet molasses in her feed. So now i have to fix her feed different from everyone elses. Haha. :)

So maybe she's picky like my girl? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts