Goat not eating

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all. My 4yr old boer doe stopped eating yesterday, was fine in the morning. I gave her banamine and vit b and she did eat again, temp was 100.7. She was ok last night, not eating again. Her manure had a lot of mucus so I did a fecal and see stomach worm eggs. The vet is coming late morning. I did send out fecals for the past 2yrs and they were clean so never wormed. I feel like a really failed here. If the vet treats her, will she be ok? I can't get her to drink or anything. I'm so upset

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Try a bucket of electrolyte water and/or a bucket of molasses water. What is the goats famacha? How many eggs are you seeing? No one can tell you if your goat will be ok or not sorry. Has she kidded recently or is in milk?

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Her temp is a tad low. Give her probiotics and some dark beer for her rumen. Offer her leaves, vines, ot other safe browse that she loves. Offer electrolytes as suggested. Let us know what the vet says and does.

Best wishes

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I second the 6oz dark beer - what is her FAMACHA score?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I too agree.

Sounds like a upset rumen.
    Give probitics and fortified vit B complex shots, 6 cc's per 100 lbs SQ for 3 days.

Get a fecal for worms and cocci to see where she is at in case.

groovyoldlady and happybleats like this.
  6. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    The vet came, said she was a pale pink. Rumen was still functioning but she has a temp now of 104, said it would probably be higher without the banamine. She gave her a shot of wormer, antibiotics, fluids, vit B and antitoxin. She took blood too. She's really miserable now, just laying their moaning but I know the antitoxin makes them feel crappy. I wish we knew what was wrong. I have to give her more fluids later.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  7. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Hope she gets better soon.(console)

Sending Prayers.

8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Sending prayers

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    .sometimes with pneumonia they can start with a sub temp them skyrocket...glad you have banamine and antibiotics on board. What antibiotics did the vet give?
    Have her in a cool shaded area to rest with electrolytes and lots of browse food for her to pick through. Do address her rumen 3-4 hours after antibiotics with probiotics and dark beer if you have it.

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Make sure she is drinking, get her up to walk around. Laying too long is really bad. Offer her fresh stuff to eat. Usually takes 2-3 days of antibiotics and Banamime to see much improvement.

Vitamin B complex shots every day help too. 1 cc per 25#. She will pee out any extra if you give a little too much. ( you said the vet gave some, but more tomorrow along with the antibiotic and Banamime will help).

11. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    She was eating hay last night but not today. She's drinking a lot though for her. She had a few nibbles of grass but that's it. I made her walk around for over an hour and now she's laying down again. I gave her the vit B and probiotics. I just wish she would eat. She's a chubby girl who loves food. The vet her one shot of LA-200 (?) and said she could get another in 5 days if needed.

12. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    LA200 is a broad spectrum antibiotic. It is important for you to find a FAMACHA chart and learn what pale pink means. FAMACA tells you if she is anemic and how anemic she is. That means Barber Pole or Bankrupt worms. It scores from 1-5 the color of the tissue in the eyelid. It is not difficult to learn it and you will find it very helpful. What dewormer did she get? Also, pine tree can help settle her tummy.

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Not “if needed,” LA200 must run it’s full course to prevent resistances.

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    La 200 not the best choice but needs to be given daily for 5-7days. Goats have too fast a metabolism and do not do well with most long acting antibiotics. She will need 1 cc per 20 sub q once a day for 5-7 days. Do not skip a day. B complex daily to support her system. Give probiotics 3-4 hours after antibiotics to support her rumen.

Hope she feels better soon. Do keep watch for worm load bloom.

Goats Rock and toth boer goats like this.
  15. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    The blood work came back. She's anemic, low lymphocytes/WBCs, and low calcium. I gave her red cell. She's getting B complex 2x a day and probiotics. I got goat calcium drench but that stuff taste awful. She reacted terribly to it, so I tasted it and OMG, I can't give her that! She's drinking and nibbling hay and alfalfa pellets but not a lot. Any shot for calcium or maybe a gel or something?

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All calcium supplements are hated, however if she needs it you must give it to her.

The antibiotic must be given daily for 5 -7 days.

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Try a carrot/celery juice..its a nice calcium drink. Just juice equal parts and drench same as the calcium drench.

18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yep!