The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three Boer does which I haven't bred, all born within a month of each other, two years old, and going on three now. I purchased them after they were weaned. A forth died, at six months, and because she was a "runt", I suspected coccidiosis, yet being new at this, I dont know.

Of the three, their weight really varies. Using the tape measure guide - girth x girth x length / 300 - Frances is abt 150 lbs, Irene 105lbs, and Mary is 68lbs. Since last August, Frances rocketed up gaining 40lbs; Irene gained about 30lbs; Mary just one pound. I have another goat, Ellen, who I bought last spring and is a little less than a year and a half old, who gained 20lbs since August and is about the same weight as Mary is now, and is about to pass her.

Feed is the same for all - a mix of noble grain (mix of plain and sweet), boss, alfalfa shreds, and Manna Pro yeast/ mineral supplements given each morning and evening at about 1-1.5 cups each serving. They receive hay too, free choice through the day, or if I am at work, before I go and then again when I come home. During the summer, I have areas where they can browse through the day, 4-5 days a week. Every two weeks I give them red cell. I have had worms/ parasites, but I have learned to keep them in check. All my goats have good appearance, energy, etc. and seem "happy".

Lately I have been separating Mary to feed her, so the others don’t bump her away. She has always been a "beta", but not rejected.

In all respects Mary seems fine but for her weight. She is boney on the back, hips and shoulders, but not skinny. She has a rounded mid section, but not bloated or unusual. Actually, she is a good looking animal, just small, but not a dwarf. She seems as healthy as the rest. Hair fine, tail up, no scours...

Any ideas? I have wondered if she had coccidiosis early on, or if its genetics? Or something else altogether? Unfortunately, there are no goat vets in the area to turn to…I have no clue.

Thanks,

Ken

·
14,615 Posts
150 doesn't sound bad at all, you may just not have the large boned ones.
However, Mary's back & hip bones should not be very noticeable.
What kind of hay are they getting?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orchard grass hay in the summer, and at other times throughout the year timothy or timothy mix. Our orchard grass is local, but limited in supply, and the timothy comes from NY through our supplier, and sometimes the quality of it changes. The last month it has been 2nd cut timothy of really good quality.

I have noted that they like the 2nd cut timothy and hardly waste any of it. They leave a lot of waste with the orchard and NY hay, yet I figured waste is normal.

what are you thinking?

Ken

·
14,615 Posts
Well, Im wondering if they would do better on alfalfa? I realize it's not available everywhere.
But then again if you have smaller boned animals you cant push past genetics.
Some say wheat germ oil helps put on weight but I don't know more than that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Do you happen to have recent pictures of the three of them to compare visual sizes? It could be possible that Mary also had a severe bout of coccidia when the 4th goat did and is now stunted as a result. This could also effect nutrient absorption even once the parasites got under control, making it harder for her to absorb nutrients making her "bonier" than the others?

Not sure, that's just my thoughts based on what was said... :shrug:

Good luck with trying to figure it out! I've discovered weight issues are extremely aggravating!

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
Sounds like Mary is extremely stunted. Probably from coccidia. 68 lbs for an almost 3 year old Boer doe is way too light. Even the 105 is pretty light. If the 68 lb girl has only gained 1 lb in about 8 months, I would say her body is not absorbing nutrients which is permanent damage from coccidia.

I would suggest leaving the minerals out free choice. They really need to be able to eat them when they want, especially Mary.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try to take pics of the three and put them up over the next day or so.

If it were to be an old bout with coccidia, do I need to assume that her life expectancy may be shortened? any special care along with minerals?

Ken

·
Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie
159 Posts
Try to worm them if you haven't tried that already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts