The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goat just had 3 kids afew days ago, two boys and a girl, the girl has been unable to feed properly as the goat always walks away and sometimes bowls her over and kicks, tried holding her in place to let kid feed but then she kicks and moves side to side (holding her by the horns and legs behind front legs to keep still as well as we can).
The other day she sat on the female kid and wouldn’t get up even as it was screaming, had to go down and get her off of the poor thing, ever since the kid has been hunched up and for a couple minutes after was liming on one of the back legs, she got sat on again today but luckily we were quicker than last time and she wasn’t too bad.
All three kids also have some kind of lice but we can’t do anything as they’re basically newborns and such.
‘All we can think to do is give her cows milk but in fear of scowers we’ve been trying our best to avoid that, though we may have to since it’s been going on too long.

I don’t really know what to ask at this point.
The girl is more withdrawn and goes to people, she’s far lighter than her brothers and even when they try to play with her she just stands there sometimes getting knocked over, she’s the only one that actually tries to suckle on fingers aswell. She’s clearly not going that great so we just want to do what we can.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You need to step in and either force mom to feed her or just pull her and bottle feed her.
If you don’t over feed her she shouldn’t scour over the whole milk. It has been the only thing (other then switching to goat milk) that I have ever had scours after a 100% change. There is a formula that people use on how much to feed, someone should come on and let you know what that math is. I just go off what the kid looks like when feeding. I want nice flat sides, not sunk in and not bulging out. If she hasn’t been eating much just go nice and easy. Little meals very often to start with.
No matter if you want to force or bottle feed I would go ahead and get the baby away from mom. She’s very small and mom doesn’t seem to like her too much so don’t risk her really getting hurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decided to try some milk with a teet but she didn’t really like drinking out if that so put some in a bowl which she shoved her face into almost immediately, probably drank too much as she was a bit bulging unfortunately, hunched up even more than before too.
We have nowhere to put her to seperate her and it’s getting really stressful for some of us, is there any way we could keep the kid with her?

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Sadly if mom already rejected the baby she wont let her sleep with her either. A crate at night by you is always better. Milk should be at 101° which is what it is in moms udder.
You will find a dead babe if you dont seperate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She sleeps with her and smells her and doesn’t attack her outright, all three babies sleep together when they nap thr the day and night, I said they were born afew days ago which I thought they were but it’s apparently been almost 2 weeks, I wouldn’t say she’s been outright rejected, I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem the same to me atleast.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ok at two weeks that is when does really start to limit the amount of time they allow their kids to nurse. Try to sit out with them today and see what happens when she calls them over and let’s them nurse. Is she being mean to the girl still or is the little girl just too small and not strong enough to push in there. Also check moms teats out. Sometimes triplets will make the does teats sore. Check to make sure her teats have no sores on them and also that the udder isn’t hot or hard. I would imagine if that was the case you would have more then one kid you have a issue with but doesn’t hurt to check it out.
I would still take the kid away at night. Even if mom is just not the greatest mother and doesn’t hate, her laying on the kid will kill her. As mentioned a crate next to her, or anything that will hold her. I hate brining kids in the house because it’s hard for them to adjust to the temps outside but need be lay some rags in the tub and put her in there or puppy pads down on the bathroom floor.
But your going to have to supplement milk to her. She sounds like she needs you to step in now and help her out. No milk from a bowel. I forget what the terminology is called but basically imagine as they put their head down to eat the milk goes into one part of the stomach, the part it shouldn’t be right now, but with the head up it goes into the correct chamber of the stomach. I’ll see if I can find that for you later today but I promise you you need to get her a bottle.

·
8,501 Posts
A baby that just stands around is starving to death, slowly..

Weigh her, take her weight in pounds times 16 (ounces) and start her at 10% of that. Say she weighs
7 pounds. 7 times 16 is 112. 10% of that is 11 ounces. So 4 times a day she would get 3 ounces. Of course, that is the bare minimum, probably she needs more than
that to fill her tummy without it getting rounded. (you probably know this, others may not)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She refuses to drink from the bottle unfortunately and was clearly starving, all of them have been drinking water from their mothers bowl so that’s why we ended up trying that as another option, she may be two weeks now but the mother never really showed much interest in her.
Fortunately we have someone that can raise her atleast until she no longer needs a bottle to feed so she can be safe from her dense mother and fed properly.
‘Thank you for the replies, I didn’t really know where to look for what to do with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forget what the terminology is called but basically imagine as they put their head down to eat the milk goes into one part of the stomach, the part it shouldn’t be right now, but with the head up it goes into the correct chamber of the stomach. I’ll see if I can find that for you later today but I promise you you need to get her a bottle.
How bad is it for her to be drinking from a bowl? All three kids have been drinking from their mothers water bowl and she basically refused to drink from the bottle despite adamantly sucking on fingers, so we ended up trying a bowl tipped at an angle to stop her from getting it up her nose.

·
Registered
791 Posts
How bad is it for her to be drinking from a bowl? All three kids have been drinking from their mothers water bowl and she basically refused to drink from the bottle despite adamantly sucking on fingers, so we ended up trying a bowl tipped at an angle to stop her from getting it up her nose.
I had to look it up since to be honestly the only thing that stuck with me was a simple do not do.
So it’s called a Esophageal Groove and the milk is not digested as well and can lead to bloat. Water is fine though because it’s not milk and water won’t cause bloat.
If the person who is getting the kid isn’t super experienced with kids pass on the info you got off of here. Also tell them to keep trying with a bottle. They can be such stubborn turds! What I normally do is squeeze a little milk in their mouth, enough they have to swallow, if they are super hungry once they swallow they are like huh that’s pretty good! And away they go. Sometimes it’s not that easy and you have to keep trying to talk them into it.
Watch this doe when she kids next year. You might have to keep stepping in and helping her ir she is not a very attentive mother or doesn’t have enough milk for more then 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The person that will be caring for her knows alot about farm animals so should be all good there, don’t know that we‘ll breed her again atleast not on purpose after all that.

·
8,501 Posts
In other cultures, they do let goats drink from bowls. I would guess it isn't much different than breaking a calf to a bucket to drink milk. We always started calves on bottles, then when someone,
(usually me) got tired of trying to feed stupid calves, they got their lesson in bucket feeding. All grew up just fine. I've never tried a goat on a bowl, but..... getting milk in any way possible
is better than starving.

·
Administrator
85,812 Posts
Hopefully she will do ok.

A trick is to put a Pritchard nipple on a syringe and slowly feed that way by syringe. Hopefully the kid will begin to suck on the nipple as the person slowly supply’s the milk. Then later as the kid knows the nipple well, add a bottle to the nipple.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts