Goat Off Feed, Water, Seems Bloated - Still Passing Waste?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SeemsLegit, Jul 19, 2016.

1. SeemsLegit

SeemsLegit New Member

Hey all.

I have a two y/o Nubian wether who has been having some trouble today and yesterday. He is off feed and is uninterested in water at the moment. I couldn't initially tell whether it was choke or bloat but, seeing as he hasn't been burping, I assumed it was bloat.

I gave him a mix of baking soda, salt, honey, and some added electrolytes via syringe once yesterday and once today as well. I also gave him a dose of Bloateze last night. He hasn't improved.

He seems interested in his hay (I've removed him from grain) but won't actually eat much. Concerning to me is how frequently he is yawning and making other unusual jaw movements. His gums are nice and pink still. This is why I considered that it may be choke, but water/solution goes down the hatch fine. I massaged his throat for some time just to be sure - no difference.

Our vet is away for the week and an out-of-town call will be an arm and a leg. He's not down or necessarily lethargic, but I'm having to keep him hydrated via drenching every few hours.

Opinions? Ideas? Spring for a vet? Thanks all.

2. OliverDagoatius

OliverDagoatius New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    NC
    My Nigerian had something similar to that after eating a bit too much peanut butter. I gave him gas-x. By morning he was good as new.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would start with a temp...see what his body is doing...listen for rumen sound, gasses, burps and chewing a cud...also check his lower inner lids for color...you want to see deep pink to red

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    A goat with true bloat is in pain and serious condition, the left side behind the ribs would be ENORMOUS like a beach ball sticking way out. They may call out in pain, have elevated breathing, or kick at their sides. It doesn't sound like this is the case with your goat.

The yawning and jaw movements are an indication that he has gut pain.

Any feed or pasture changes recently? Is he ruminating and chewing cud? Can you hear gurgling from his left side? Is he pooping regular pellets? Is he peeing regularly with a full stream?

Get a rectal temperature and check his lower eyelid membranes for anemia (FAMACHA score) rather than his gums which aren't very reliable in goats.

I recommend you inject B-Complex subqutaneously at 6cc per 100 lbs when you check all those things. That is the first item for a goat that seems to have digestive issues.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  6. SeemsLegit

SeemsLegit New Member

I had been giving an electrolyte mix daily, hydrating via drenching, and I gave him some mineral oil the other night before taking the boys out for a walk to get things moving. He's really perked up. Still not perfect, but he's eating, drinking, and almost back to normal. Thank you all for the quick help!

SalteyLove I think you're right. Doesn't seem as though it was actual bloat at all, just some tummy trouble. I'll be weeding their area again just to be sure.