Goat packs

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Gear' started by NH546, Dec 9, 2013.

1. NH546

NH546 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    I was thinking of packing our goats with a dog pack. Does anybody have any experience with this? Possibly recommendations? Or I would go with the saddle cross bucks. I'm curious if anybody has built their own? Thank you in advance.

2. Deschutes Dawn

Deschutes Dawn deschutes dawn

Sep 23, 2013
    Bend OR
    It depends on how far you are going and in what type of terrain. Dog packs work great for training younger goats and for day hikes with adults. What you try to avoid is too much pressure directly on the spine for any length of time. For tougher terrain the crossbucks have more support and stability and allow the back and spine to stay cool without pressure.
    I have built my own crossbucks and panniers but I first bought a kit from NWPG supply to have the proper angles and measurements from an expert. I am in the process of modifying a bike pannier pattern to use as a day pack and to use as crossbuck panniers. I'm sure there are others who will through in their ideas and knowledge so you have lots of choices.

3. sanhestar

sanhestar New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    also, many dog packs ride too far up on the shoulder because the breast strap is too short. Especially if you have a goat with very pronounced vertebrae a dog pack will cause soreness on the bone.

4. sashasuman

sashasuman New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Thanks for all the info. It is a split pad design. Having watched them pack with these pads I think that up to thirty pounds would be ok. I am going to use my goats for hunting so I need to be able to pack at least 40lbs. My have to save up and get a northwest saddle. Any body want a soft saddle and panniers?

5. MountainHigh

MountainHigh New Member

Dec 23, 2014
    FYI I have two of the saddles and panniers for sale in the classified section if your interested.

6. totes_my_goats

totes_my_goats New Member

Aug 11, 2014
    NE Ohio
    We used a large dog pack for my son's 4-H pack goat project. We found that we had to sew a section of strap to the straps to make it longer, but it worked just fine.

(however, I need to work on my sewing skills... so it didnt turn out that pretty but it still worked properly)