The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm planning the pen for a pair of pygmies that I'm hoping to get next summer. I've read a load of good things about sand for the flooring. I'm wondering what way would be best to do this and is it expensive? Any other suggestions?

I am sure that if I kept the grass now and had them in there, it would get muddy and filthy within a few weeks of rain(which there is a lot of in Ireland).

Thanks a lot,
Gary

·
Registered
625 Posts
Wow Ireland!
What do you have handy? Our pen is naturally filling with oak and maple leaves (seriously about a foot deep layer) and that is a nice bedding as well...
Also at our dog park (gets wet and muddy ) they are asking for donations of dried pine needles to put down (which got me to thinking about using those as well)...

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Hello! I'm planning the pen for a pair of pygmies that I'm hoping to get next summer. I've read a load of good things about sand for the flooring. I'm wondering what way would be best to do this and is it expensive? Any other suggestions?

I am sure that if I kept the grass now and had them in there, it would get muddy and filthy within a few weeks of rain(which there is a lot of in Ireland).

Thanks a lot,
Gary
Flooring for the entire pen, or just for the shelter? Since you get a lot of rain the main thing is to make sure their shelter and some surrounding area is high enough that water doesn't pool and stand - especially if you are planning to feed outside the shelter. Goats do not like water and standing in water usually leads to foot rot, depending on how long it takes to soak in/away. I wouldn't worry about the entire pen, I would just make sure they have a dry area to go to.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
You want to make sure you clean it up often. I do mine once a week.
Except in fall and winter. During those times leaving manure and old straw forms a manure pack and it gives off heat as the bottom layers decompose. Just lime or put down Sweet PDZ to control ammonia and add new bedding. Since it is entirely possible for my area to have snow in September, I usually quit cleaning out the sheds towards the end of August.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts