The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are building a new barn with 2 gost stalls, we were going to concrete it, but can't afford that right now. Should I gravel it or leave it dirt? :whatgoat:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Mine is dirt.

I know there are a few people her that have concrete floors. I don't know if I would do that on purpose.

Yes they both have their pros and cons. I like the idea of the urine soaking into the ground and not just sitting on the cement and the goats laying in it.

But that is just me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a wood floor but if I could choose I would go for dirt! So much easier than wood or concrete!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks, I think we will leave it dirt!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Our new barn has a concrete floor it easier to clean stalls with a concrete floor, but I think dirt would be the best, it is warm in the winter and it soaks up fluid. Or you could do gravel with dirt on top that will keep the floor even drier I think.

·
Registered
543 Posts
We have a slag barn. It soaks up urine and I think its fine to clean and disinfect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, we have decided to go with dirt! I will post pics once the barn is finished!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like lime. It still 'soaks up' like dirst but at the same time it gets hard like concrete and is easy to clean. When you clean it a little of the lime may come up and need a touch up every year or so but it is cheap! You can but a lot of lime for what you would pay to have it concreted.

·
Registered
140 Posts
KGW Farms said:
I like lime. It still 'soaks up' like dirst but at the same time it gets hard like concrete and is easy to clean. When you clean it a little of the lime may come up and need a touch up every year or so but it is cheap! You can but a lot of lime for what you would pay to have it concreted.
That's what they have in our county 4h barn it works great. I was going to suggest the same but someone beat me to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We use 1/4" minus granite in our pens, it seems to drain really fast and is easy to clean up. You do have to add a little each year, but it's fairly cheap. During the winter we add straw on top of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it true that babies can get navel ill from dirt floors? We are looking at using either decomposed granite compacted and using rubber stall mats over or having a wood floor with stall mats.

Just curious. :whatgoat:

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
always had dirt floors never had navel ill

not saying it wont happen but it doesnt seem to be the cause.

anything dirty (soiled straw, shavings, hay etc) can cause issues such as navel ill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts