The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a total of 7 kids born at my farm now. I let them dam raise. The first one started out super unfriendly, is now almost 8 months old and is VERY friendly, leads well, all that good stuff. WHile I do work with them and am around them daily, she mostly decided on her own to like people.

The 6 kids born here this year are all marginally friendly, except one, my buckling Salt. He is SOOOOO in your face, loves you so much, friendly! He has no stranger fear, and will let anyone handle him anywhere. My best friend who he had never met, walked right up to him and picked up his back leg and he didn't even care LOL! Its especially curious to me that he is so bold and friendly, because he is out of my most timid doe. Both her other kids (both does, one a twin of my buckling, one last years doe), were just like their mom, super timid, but fine for handling once you get them caught.

The rest of my does are all very friendly, easy to catch and handleable, yet all of their kids ended up being pretty skittish and timid so far. They STILL fight when I catch them (like every 3 days at the most, though I try to handle them daily).

I just think its so funny that Salt is such a puppy dog of a goat! What made him decide to be like that, when all his other peers basically think I am horrible?

Picture of the little stinker

·
1,524 Posts
It seems to be the individual personality. I've had kids of in your pocket does be anti-social and kids of anti-social does be in your pocket. I try to handle the kids daily in a pleasant way, so they are people socialized, but still there are a few who are not really friendly.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
What's his Dad's personality?He seems to be an exception from the others....

I also wonder if there is something to disbudding and dam-raising at the same time. I don't disbud, DO dam-raise and mine are very, very friendly...like in the way every second friendly.:rolleyes:...I don't in any way mean this to be negative, and I am not against other people disbudding!
I just got thinking maybe because so early they have a traumatic experience with humans coupled with the fact of being dam-raised?

I don't know, just thinking it out....anyway, he sure is adorable! Are you going to keep him? :) I would want to ;)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't own his sire, but half the kids born were sired by salts sire, the other half by the other buck. BOth bucks seemed friendly, and are both show goats.

I don't do the disbudding myself, but I was present this time.

Yes I am keeping him! He's going to be one of my herd sires. I am studding him out too, he already has 2 dates lined up for this fall/winter :D

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Do you think maybe Dam raises kids are traumatised by the disbudding more so than bottle raised? Just an idea cause my boys seemed indifferent totally. Maybe because I'm sort of their mother and they forgot about it?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think the disbudding had anything to do with it. They were not more or less friendly before or after. Salt is disbudded too. I am thinking that when the others are a bit older, they will decide they love me too Lol.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
One of the ones I have was 2 months when we got her. She'd been running with a large herd and the only interaction she'd had with humans was disbudding and tattooing. She is dam raised and was very skittish and wanting nothing to do with us. We have her dam too who had about the same opinion of us.

Both are now loving but the baby is a little more in your face and will climb into laps to get attention. Out of all the ones we have is one that I've been calling Eeyore even if its not her name. She's been loved on a lot but she's just shy. She's the last one in, the wallflower. Not that she won't take loving but she acts like the insecure girl at the HS dance that can't believe anyone would want to dance with her so she'll just go stand over there by herself. heh.

I figured this was all individual personality.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
We had a mom who had two kids a buck and a doe. We let her raise them and the one was so skittish. Our boy Pooten loved being around people. It must be something in there personality.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Both of my boys hated me when I brought them home. Yogi my Pygmy I brought home alone bc I already was holding my other but he wasn't weaned yet but I knew I needed a buddy. For 10 days I was all yogi had and I think bc of this we have a special relationship, he follows me everywhere!!! Even though he now has another goat friend. Now Oreo my nigerian he hated me for a looooong time, it seemed lol more like 2 weeks. He came right off his mom and he screamed for days, until he was hoarse and his cry sounded pathetic! I could never catch him, had to patiently wait and wait until he would eat from my hand and I could snatch him. Finally it's been 1 month and when my boys are loose he will come right over, never to strangers tho! It takes a lot of work to make them like you but food is definitely the key to their hearts.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
I love this topic :)

I have a bottle raised doeling who is the most in your face, people-loving, clownish drama queen. I got her at 4 months, so I wasn't the one to give her her bottles, but she still thinks I'm her mom. When I sit down, she tries to lay in my lap. (She weighs about 80 pounds now :eek:)

I have a baby wether whom always climbs in my lap, too. His brother is also very friendly, but only the one is really cuddley.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts