Goat photography

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AllieShepard1998, Aug 20, 2013.

1. AllieShepard1998

AllieShepard1998 New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Hi y'all,
    I have been taking pictures of my goats, and am now willing to photograph yours:) I am in Molalla, OR and will work in Clackamas County. I will charge $75 per goat per 30 min. Photography doesn't take much time, But I need money to help support my goats, and I am also trying to save money for a horse.
    I can do discounts if you have 4 goats or more.
    All I need from you is...
    a goat(s)
    a place to photograph them
    anything extra you want for the goat
    And planing ahead

:kidblue: :angelgoat:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hmmm... Really nice pics, just wondering do you have a website/portfolio other than the photos you posted?

3. AllieShepard1998

Aug 9, 2013
  4. OwnedByTheGoats

OwnedByTheGoats Well, my username says it all... :)

Mar 6, 2013
    Kansas
    What kind of camera do you use?

5. AllieShepard1998

Aug 9, 2013
    Here's some pictures I took from early this morning..

Attached Files:

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    The reason I say 'Hmmm' is $75 for 30 mins can be a lot if you are just starting out. I think your pictures are very good :)
    I also think that post processing is important too. Natural is great, but it's good to know how to post process as well. When people pay $75 or more for photos, they generally want photos they don't have to do any editing on - cropping, sharpening, lighting, etc.
    Some people like artsy stuff, I really don't get into that kind of post processing, but I do adjust lighting if needed, sharpen when needed, etc.
    Just my thoughts on it.
    I would absolutely pursue your goal in photography, we all start somewhere and it's amazing the places it can take you :)

BTW, what kind of Nikon are you using? I use Canon, but some of the people I shoot with/shoot for are Nikon users. It's kinda funny sometimes at some events I joke that I am 'team Switzerland' carrying Nikon & Canon around LOL

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL those are way too cute! Silly critters! :)

8. AllieShepard1998

Aug 9, 2013
    Thanks guys:) And I don't know what kind of Nikon it is. It's my parents and we have had it for 3 years. They at first didn't like me messing around with it, then they saw all the pictures I was taking, and they let me keep using it..

I actually had a whole gallery of really good pictures but I think they either deleted them or put them on a different memory card and then lost it.. :(

And the reason I say $75 is cuz my step dad just got fired, and they are thinking of moving up to Idaho, and I am tired of moving, and I don't like Idaho.. So I am going to try to help... I already give them some gas money because of my hoof trimming business, but they need more help..

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm sorry about your step father. I understand, sometimes life can be so hard & unfair. I hope he is able to find a new job soon.

I'd learn what kind of camera you have, and learn about all the settings, etc. So you are up for any kind of lighting situation. Learn how to shoot in manual, and it's like riding a bike, once you know you never forget ;)

I do horse photography, but it's a lot different than backyard/pet stuff. Still, I would work on post processing because it will help you in the future. I know a lot of outstanding professional photographers and they always post process images.
    You need a watermark on your photos. People can and will take them, and will be happy to do so. I always put my name on every photo I take.
    I also crop my images even if it's a little, so I have the original and know what it looks like in the event someone steals one <I've had it happen...too often...>. I also try to crop my horse pics usually so that if someone tries to print them it will chop off a head or a foot at the printers lol Of course people who are desperate can find ways around that too.

This is my opinion only, but being new to it, I really wouldn't charge $75 unless you get some 'bites.' Otherwise I'd make it more reasonable. Professionals will charge $75 and up per 1/2 hour-hour and that's with post processing on select images.
    I would instead, charge by prints ordered <5x7, 8x10, 10x13, etc>, or if they want a dvd, then have a set fee. Mileage fee, and a minimum order fee.
    Keep in mind that photographers who've been doing this for years with high quality images charge about $80-100 per 8x10 or 10x13 photo.
    I myself think that's outrageous and something I'd never pay lol
    I try to keep my prices reasonable, generally the more reasonable they are, the more I sell, the more $$ I make. For example at the horse sales, for every-day-people I charge $20 per 8x10. The grooms/handlers like to have pictures of themselves w/top selling horses.
    If a consignor <farm> asks for an image then I might sell for $25.
    I sold a dvd for 'personal use only' to a farm last year for $150. If it had been for commercial use, it would have been $500, easily.

I'm not telling you what to do of course, but just beware when you jump into charging for photography ;)

I've been too lazy to make a real website, haha. One day I will :) I love sharing pictures, it's my favorite hobby. I feel very blessed to have some of the experiences, many were 'only dreams' that became reality.

Here's the link to my photo albums on flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoosiershadow/sets