The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone uses their goat poop and bedding as fertilizer for their gardens?

If so do you put it directly in the garden and till it under, or do you have to let it compost first?

Any tips on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to plant in the next few weeks, if that matters

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
I dump my poop on the garden at the end of the season. Then it composts over winter and till in at spring.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
We practice deep bedding in our shed so we haul it all out in spring and pile it under a dark tarp and let it compost all summer. It comes out lovely for fall when we put it on our no till veggie & pumpkin beds. Ours contains dropping, shavings, and a lot of hay from the feeders.

If I had stalls that I mucked weekly or less and there was less hay then I would probably be okay with putting it straight on the garden but there is some risk of certain bacteria or parasites with raw fecal on vegetable plants...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I put mine in the compost bin (I have two 4x4' bins) - what can't go in there (since it needs to be layered with grass clippings to really break down quickly) goes in a pile. I only have 3 does so dont have a huge amount - by late spring the pile starts getting a bit large, but then things slow down (as they spend less time in the barn) and by the end of fall I'm almost caught up. :) I do pile it up on any empty garden beds I have, where it composts itself eventually. I also sometimes put it along the fenceline, around the base of trees, or anywhere else I'd like to discourage grass/weeds from growing. Works good as direct mulch on ornamentals, but I dont usually put it fresh on the veggies, in case of contamination issues. I'd rather my poop look more like dirt before I put it on the stuff I'm gonna eat. :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Yep. We got a good size crop of grapes and tomatoes last year.. It's great fertilizer. You can compost it but you don't have too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts